• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Houndstooth suit

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
9780446614283_388X586.jpg

- B

6a00e398c68dc0000301101667124d860d-500pi

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Well, yeah. It was RTW and it was $50.
fing02[1].gif
I would not spend thousands on a custom houndstooth suit because I would not get enough wear out of it. I would have to get the conservative blue suit in that instance, because you can always wear it. However, if I were more well off and already had a wardrobe full of "essentials" I could see having one made, since it would be fun to wear. There was a also a black and white houndstooth RLPL on the bay last week. It was a three piece, complete with hacking pockets and the obligatory ticket pocket. And, yes, I had the droolies for it..but I was not willing to risk the money since it was probably a little on the small side, being a 40. Still, I almost snagged it since I am trying to get down to a 40. And, yeah, I know well and good that it is as practical as a paper asshole.
tongue.gif
Mike

Ok then, a solid navy suit isn't so conformist when it comes to shelling out a considerable sum for a custom version. And if you can get a quality houndstooth suit on the cheap via a discount place, then indulge yourself. I think anyone who gets one of these suits custom made without considering how it fits into their wardrobe and the use they will have for it is playing sartorial Russian roulette.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I think anyone who gets one of these suits custom made without considering how it fits into their wardrobe and the use they will have for it is playing sartorial Russian roulette.

testimonials_vr.jpg

- B

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, apparently my Houndstooth suit shipped today. I guess the PayPal claim made him decide to ship it....or he sent me a box of ****. We will see, I would like to get my suit though.

Mike

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, apparently my Houndstooth suit shipped today. I guess the PayPal claim made him decide to ship it....or he sent me a box of ****. We will see, I would like to get my suit though. Mike
Probably it was so beautiful, he couldn't mail it out and risk post suitem depression.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Probably it was so beautiful, he couldn't mail it out and risk post suitem depression.

But I gave you such a perfect setup with the box of ****....come on, my man, you are letting me down!! This snark could have been so much more cutting.
thumbs-up.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And, here it is. Quick try on. This is definitely a winter weight suit. I like it, and for what I paid, I can't complain...although it took filing a PayPal dispute to get it. I figure I will get a couple wears a season out of it. But, it will be fun. I have no idea the era this came from. It is RL Polo for Saks Fifth Avenue and it has a USA Union tag inside. It is 2/3 roll and the lapels are sizable. I actually like the pants better than the jacket. Flat front and slim fitting. Anyway, fire away FNB...you get two chances to snark me on this suit today.
mwink[1].gif

HoundstoothMike.jpg

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And, here it is. Quick try on. This is definitely a winter weight suit. I like it, and for what I paid, I can't complain...although it took filing a PayPal dispute to get it. I figure I will get a couple wears a season out of it. But, it will be fun. I have no idea the era this came from. It is RL Polo for Saks Fifth Avenue and it has a USA Union tag inside. It is 2/3 roll and the lapels are sizable. I actually like the pants better than the jacket. Flat front and slim fitting. Anyway, fire away FNB...you get two chances to snark me on this suit today.
mwink[1].gif

HoundstoothMike.jpg

I don't know, but the lapels say '70s to me. I don't even know whether RL was going then, so pardon me if that's impossible.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you like those lapels.

however nice lucky break streak on ebay. it doesnt usually end up looking good when you actually get them.

Yeah, I have had some losers too, trust me. They are in the closet and have never made an appearance. One was an expensive mistake that is bespoken, but too big for me and probably an '80s suit. I learned the magic of pinning a suit on a mannequin with that one.

This one I bought as a novelty. I bought it for the pattern, and forgave the lapels. It screams '70s to me too (it is very slim for a 42, more like a 40), and RL was certainly around in the '70s. However, I don't know if he was designing under the Polo name at that point.

Either way, it was a good score for $40.

Mike

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have had some losers too, trust me. They are in the closet and have never made an appearance. One was an expensive mistake that is bespoken, but too big for me and probably an '80s suit. I learned the magic of pinning a suit on a mannequin with that one.

This one I bought as a novelty. I bought it for the pattern, and forgave the lapels. It screams '70s to me too (it is very slim for a 42, more like a 40), and RL was certainly around in the '70s. However, I don't know if he was designing under the Polo name at that point.

Either way, it was a good score for $40.

Mike

Wow, $40 :-O You could even use it as PJs and still have a bargain.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Wow, $40 :-O You could even use it as PJs and still have a bargain.

LOL, if you slept in this bad boy you would lose 20 pounds from sweating, and likely wake up with a rash. It is a bit "picky" as my Cajun ex-wife used to say.
rotflmao.gif

Mike

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members