• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good colors to buy Polos in?

TheApple

Reaction score
I have one in black and another in white. I am stuck as to which other colors I should buy. I was thinking maybe a grey, or perhaps a purple.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you wear will play a big role in what colors you should get.

SaintClair

Reaction score
It is hard to go wrong with navy, I have always considered that really the classic color when it comes to a polo. Hunter green works well too, but this all depends on the season as well. White, Black and Navy are all pretty versatile in my opinion, everything else sort of depends.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say skin tone is a bigger factor in deciding shirt color even than seasonality. Red or yellow = epic fail for me.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I'd say skin tone is a bigger factor in deciding shirt color even than seasonality. Red or yellow = epic fail for me.

This. I'm a blonde guy who tans fairly well so charcoal and light blue work extremely well for me - find what works with your skin tone.

SaintClair

Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense, but if you are only going to have a few colors and you are trying various polos on in the summer or spring I would refrain from purchasing bright or light pastel colors if you plan on continuing to wear them in the fall and winter. This may seem obvious but added just to make sure.

Hany

Reaction score
Best color for anything: BLUE.
inlove.gif

1012_4.jpg

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything everyone said factors into it - skin tone, other clothes to match it with, seasonality. I would get a few in basic colors - black, white, grey, navy, etc.; a few that are more colorful - light blue, pink, red, etc.; and finally one or two striped.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
Best color for anything: BLUE.
inlove.gif

1012_4.jpg

Yup. If I could get away with it my only casual shirts would be navy polos and navy cashmere ringneck sweaters.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pink/salmon color is best, with a Lacoste logo on your chest, and the shirt collar popped upward.

But beware! Many of your non-style conscience friends and co-workers may see the little alligator logo and think you're wearing an IZOD shirt. Peasants yet they are, we secretly laugh at them in their ignorance comforted in the fact that we have the true Lacoste shirt.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to wear Black, Grey, Navy, White, and Brown Polos. Living in a college town the pink, light blue, yellow, and other pastel color polos are over done and cringe at the sight of them.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheApple
I would never buy Lacoste. I think I'll buy a Purple and Yellow one. Lakers. #24
Yeah I'm not a fan of branded polos, but I do have both purple and yellow ones that I wear semi-frequently (I'm not a big polo guy). I like and wear the purple more than the yellow, but I'll occasionally go for the latter as it seems summery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads