• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

lowrider

Reaction score
Thanks Baby Pink!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Hi there. I was wondering if You could help me identify these shades. I keep being told they are clubmasters but clubmaster dont have a black plastic rim like these.

pic.jpg

They do look like clubmasters. I dont know what brand they are, but Im thinking it might be an imitation remake. I know Tommy Hilfiger has frames that look like the club masters but they are smaller. I will be seeing a few reps in the near future so I will let you know if anything catches my eyes. Sorry I cant identify them.

eyetee

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First post on Styleforum - been lurking for a while as well, on and off for a year or two. I'm getting glasses and unfortunately I didn't think about coming here first to check out prices.

My eyesight is -6.75 and -7.25

I dropped about 600 at the Bay (like Macy's in Canada) for glasses (BCBG Max Azria Polaris), because they are in the building where I work. Frames are 60% off and lenses 20% off, but because my lenses are so expensive a 33% off everything worked better for me.

My question is whether or not the lenses matter for this type of frame. The $600 price is for Nikon 1.74 with "best" coating (whatever that means), while Seiko 1.67 with a lesser coating is $500.

Btw, If I get a non-designer frame, it goes down to $430.

I bought the glasses yesterday, and then I read about buying glasses online and independent shops. Unfortunately they told me if I return the glasses, it's 20% restock fee so I'd lose $120.

I'm not a rich guy but I do want to make the best out of this purchase. Any help would be appreciated - I have till Thursday to decide lense/frames.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CC, what's your opinion of various lens coatings (eg scratch resistant, antiglare, etc)? I'm sure there's a lot of detail to this that I'm not familiar with.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
CC, does Persol make a bigger size to is 2931 model than 53? I love the shape of these but they are just too small fro me in 53mm. Any help appreciated?

phildo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
CC, what's your opinion of various lens coatings (eg scratch resistant, antiglare, etc)? I'm sure there's a lot of detail to this that I'm not familiar with.

I think he posted on his blog about this, check it.

phildo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
What are your comments on matching glasses color with hair/skin tone? Is this a must? i.e. Black frames for black hair.

It looks better when the colour of the frames matches the hair/skin tone. Not necessarily black frames for black hair, but black frames for darker skin tone, brown/black hair. An example of where black frames look bad IMO is this (taken from WAYWT)

wannacyber474.jpg

His skin is too light for those frames and that's obviously not his natural hair colour.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
What are your comments on matching glasses color with hair/skin tone? Is this a must? i.e. Black frames for black hair.

IMPORTANT. There are 2 kinds of people.
1. People who want their glasses to look bold
-Generally these people want a color that does not blend with their hair color, complexion, eyebrows and so on.
-If you want something that stand outs and seems bold go with either darker colors or very colorful colors.

2. People who want their glasses to blend in
-Generally these people will pick rimless frames or neutral colors.
-Go with a neutral colored frame that is thinner and lighter.

You can drastically change your image and style by changing your eyewear. A bold thicker black pair of glasses might look good when out on the night with your friends BUT a simple plain frame might be in order when meeting your client. There isnt a SET rule about your eyewear, it's more of an extension of your style so let your imagination wild and pick out something that you like.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eyetee
Hey everyone,

First post on Styleforum - been lurking for a while as well, on and off for a year or two. I'm getting glasses and unfortunately I didn't think about coming here first to check out prices.

My eyesight is -6.75 and -7.25

I dropped about 600 at the Bay (like Macy's in Canada) for glasses (BCBG Max Azria Polaris), because they are in the building where I work. Frames are 60% off and lenses 20% off, but because my lenses are so expensive a 33% off everything worked better for me.

My question is whether or not the lenses matter for this type of frame. The $600 price is for Nikon 1.74 with "best" coating (whatever that means), while Seiko 1.67 with a lesser coating is $500.

Btw, If I get a non-designer frame, it goes down to $430.

I bought the glasses yesterday, and then I read about buying glasses online and independent shops. Unfortunately they told me if I return the glasses, it's 20% restock fee so I'd lose $120.

I'm not a rich guy but I do want to make the best out of this purchase. Any help would be appreciated - I have till Thursday to decide lense/frames.

First off.....Let's talk lenses...
With your prescription, I would suggest 1.67. I dont think you need 1.74 unless the frames are big on you and the lenses need to be decentered a lot. In terms of lenses, both Nikon and Seiko make good lenses, but I think you are paying a bit much for them. You can probably get a better deal at an independent optical. Another thing is, the Bay and other chains usually only sell name brand lenses or their house brands (which usually suck), BUT they sell them for expensive. Realistically, chances are you wont notice the difference between a name brand and a generic. I would say only 1% of people who have eyewear will ever see the potential of a Nikon lens with seemax coating. (Think: 1% of Porsches seeing a race track) In terms of coating, there are tons and I would say again, only 1% of people will actually see the full potential of their anti scratch coating.

$600 for BCBG and Nikon lenses is a bit much. But I mean, you have to weigh your costs. Sure you can return it and lose $120 but you could probably find something for less than $480. If you like what you bought, dont turn back and wear them and enjoy them. If you are having a lot of doubts about your purchase, return it because youll always feel like you got ripped off.

Hope this helped....

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

I posted something like this on my blog. Check it out and if you have any more questions, let me know!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads