• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are we in the styleforum / iGent MC hype cycle?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Black shoes = buzz

I'd move them to pre-buzz, because there's still too much hate for them, but they are on their way up. White shirts too will follow them.

Narrow lapels: well into saturation.

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Foo--the cycle is not subjective. An item's position in the cycle is, as ohm suggests, a function of the cultural zeitgeist at a given moment in time. An individual might misperceive an item's position on the curve, but that is no different from any other misperception of reality. We can argue about the proper position of something, but that does not preclude there being a correct answer for a given item. Idiots don't get a veto in mathematics either.

Well, sure the judgments that put things into certain positions are necessarily subjective to some degree, but how do the placeholders in the cycle ('pre-buzz', 'saturation', 'backlash', etc.) relate to each other conceptually?

Originally Posted by A Y
I'd move them to pre-buzz, because there's still too much hate for them, but they are on their way up. White shirts too will follow them.

Narrow lapels: well into saturation.

White shirts are definitely on their way up. I think black shoes will stay down, though. They're just so awkward and jarring with earthy odd jacket outfits typical of the forum that I think they're popularity is naturally capped.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, sure the judgments that put things into certain positions are necessarily subjective to some degree, but how do the placeholders in the cycle ('pre-buzz', 'saturation', 'backlash', etc.) relate to each other conceptually?

Items follow a path described by the line in the chart. If something never moves from pre-buzz to buzz and so on, it is likely that it never possessed pre-buzz to begin with.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried, but found it difficult to track one item through the whole cycle. I think there's usually a split right after "saturation point" where adherents stay while the detractors move on.

My head still hurts. And I'm still wearing a knit tie despite it being totally passÃ
00a9.png
today.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're missing the point. By definition, overhyped and backlash items still have adherents. There's no split. It's just that some people realize that something has been passed by, and others cling to them.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're missing the point. By definition, overhyped and backlash items still have adherents. There's no split. It's just that some people realize that something has been passed by, and others cling to them.
Or conversely, some people always look for the next thing and to be different, and pass too quickly.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Or conversely, some people always look for the next thing and to be different, and pass too quickly.

Right. But those individual decisions, or the variety of them, has no bearing on the objective position on the curve of a given item.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. But those individual decisions, or the variety of them, has no bearing on the objective position on the curve of a given item.
The position corresponds to the sum product of all these individual decisions and the influence level of the individuals.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What you all fail to understand is that there is Heisenberg Principle at work here. The more that SF focuses on an item/subject, the more that focus changes its position on the curve. All we can know is the probability spread of a given thing's place on the curve and -- sadly, ironically -- the more we investigate, the more our efforts skew its position, and increase the spread, thereby increasing uncertainty.

teacha.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I'd move them to pre-buzz, because there's still too much hate for them, but they are on their way up. White shirts too will follow them. Narrow lapels: well into saturation. --Andre
Wait, you mean these wild men don't like white shirts and black shoes?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What you all fail to understand is that there is Heisenberg Principle at work here. The more that SF focuses on an item/subject, the more that focus changes its position on the curve. All we can know is the probability spread of a given thing's place on the curve and -- sadly, ironically -- the more we investigate, the more our efforts skew its position, and increase the spread, thereby increasing uncertainty.

teacha.gif

Thank you. Finally, someone who adequately acknowledges my interpretational conundrum.

falconboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

teacha.gif

schrodingercopy.jpg

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thank you. Finally, someone who adequately acknowledges my interpretational conundrum.

I acknowledge your interpretational conundrum but would like to point out that it is merely an interpretational conundrum. Manton makes a good point vis a vis our ability to accurately discern an item's location in the cycle. Like Schrodinger's cat, while an item may have the potential to be at any point in the cycle, the thing is either dead or alive whether or not we open the box, it's just that we may not be able to know which until we open the box. I hope this clears things up.

edit: typing is slower than pictures, but I think the point can still be made twice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads