• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I really think people here are obsessed with having the perfect fit, sometimes to the detriment of all other factors. I say this as a newbie because this is the impression I have been given in the 2+ months I have been hanging here. I have become obsessive myself with seeing if my sleeve lenghts are SF approved...or if I have too much break in my "trousers" or if my jacket is pulling a little here or there. It can become quite absurd. Mike
+1. Too much anal retention 'round here. That said , my complaint is with the "studied nonchalance" in the photo. Smacks of poserism.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes, of course. That's part of what I'm saying. But a good fashion photo often obscures information that would allow us to evaluate fit and distracts us with things that have far more to do with the photo and less to do with the subject.
fit is subset of style. and there's only so much photography and photochop could do to help.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
"professional" photogs and "good" lighting don't turn on style like a lighbulb. It merely accentuates what is already present.

Yes, but amateur photography and bad lighting can obscure good style/nice combos. My WAYWs are at the mercy of the weather, and I can usually guess the reaction they'll receive even before posting. I've had some perfectly mediocre outfits get a lot of love because everything worked my way, while others I really liked never looked quite right in the pics just because the sun wouldn't cooperate.

There are several weeks of the year that I don't even bother trying.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
What!?!?!? Not me.

Just looked, some comment by "brittain"

I still prefer to blame you.

I am convinced that you are involved somehow...exactly how, I do not know, but I will find out.

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I still prefer to blame you. I am convinced that you are involved somehow...exactly how, I do not know, but I will find out. - B
Well...he was in Italy....on a "buying" trip.........
laugh.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm all for comfort but clip on suspenders are inexusable on anyone over 4 years old or that does not have a vocational need for them. No different than a clip on tie, inexcusable for a dressed grown man, unless you are a clown.

What if you adopt one eccentricity for shock value, like, oh, wearing horse blanket jackets?

- B

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
When oh when will folks learn that the sleeve buttons need to stay buttoned.

small timmer alert
facepalm.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of course, style and overall aesthetic appeal require much more than good fit, and yes, fixating on fit (like on pattern-matching
devil.gif
) can detract from the bigger goal. However, fit is much more easily assessed from still, amateur photographs. We could go on and on about what 'style' or 'elegance' means without getting very far, but a f*cked up collar that gapes open is a f*cked up collar that gapes open.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, style and overall aesthetic appeal require much more than good fit, and yes, fixating on fit (like on pattern-matching
devil.gif
) can detract from the bigger goal. However, fit is much more easily assessed from still, amateur photographs. We could go on and on about what 'style' or 'elegance' means without getting very far, but a f*cked up collar that gapes open is a f*cked up collar that gapes open.

Kinda like a button down that is not buttoned down is a button down without the buttons buttoned down? Is that a fit issue, or is it a "style" issue???

Mike

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Kinda like a button down that is not buttoned down is a button down without the buttons buttoned down? Is that a fit issue, or is it a "style" issue???

Mike

That's exactly the thing. I can see why you might hate the way I leave my buttondown collars unbuttoned, even though I like it. But nobody wants collar gape or other fit problems. If fit problems were not prevalent on Styleforum, I'd agree that we should spend more time debating the more debatable aspects of style. But many outfits are ruined by bad fit and never even leave the gate.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
devil.gif
) can detract from the bigger goal.

Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting Despos, I will still defend his preference for thoughtful pattern integration as one of the many attributes executed by the best cutters and tailors practicing at the leading edge of their crafts.

And when it comes to men's tailored clothing, there is no dichotomy between style and fit...having an asymmetric concentration on one or the other is like choosing which side of the mountain will serve as the base for your ascent. The closer to the top that you get, the more each quality will be elevated in tandem.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads