• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tim Burton's "Wonderland" Updated: Trailer

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

alice-topper.jpg

First look: What a weird 'Wonderland' Burton's made

By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY
You might have gone down the rabbit hole before. But never with a guide quite as attuned to the fantastic as Tim Burton.

MORE PHOTOS: See more exclusive art from 'Alice in Wonderland'

Those who have grown curiouser and curiouser about what the offbeat reinventor of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory might conjure up in his version of Alice in Wonderland can feast their eyes on this array of concept art and publicity images, due to hang in movie theaters this week to promote the March 5, 2010, release.

"It has been Burton-ized" is how producer Richard Zanuck describes the director's vision of the Lewis Carroll classic. Many elements are familiar, from the enigmatic Caterpillar (Alan Rickman) to the fierce Jabberwock (Christopher Lee). But none has been presented in this sort of visually surreal fashion.

"We finished shooting in December after only 40 days," Zanuck says. Now the live action is being merged with CG animation and motion-capture creatures, and then transferred into 3-D.

The traditional tale has been freshened with a blast of girl power, courtesy of writer Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast). Alice, 17, attends a party at a Victorian estate only to find she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of snooty society types. Off she runs, following a white rabbit into a hole and ending up in Wonderland, a place she visited 10 years before yet doesn't remember.

Among those who welcome her back is the Mad Hatter, a part tailor-made for Johnny Depp as he collaborates with Burton for the seventh time. "This character is off his rocker," Zanuck says.

Aussie actress Mia Wasikowska, 19, best known for HBO's In Treatment, has the coveted title role. "There is something real, honest and sincere about her," Zanuck says. "She's not a typical Hollywood starlet."

There is the usual Burton-esque ghoulishness (Helena Bonham Carter's Red Queen, whose favorite retort is "Off with their heads," has a moat filled with bobbing noggins), but Zanuck assures most kids can handle it. "The book itself is pretty dark," he notes. "This is for little people and people who read it when they were little 50 years ago."
deppx-large.jpg

"Off his rocker": Johnny Depp concocts another memorably trippy character as the Mad Hatter. Besides his Carrot Top mop, Depp undergoes a transformation with the addition of enlarged eyes tinted yellow. "He is so much fun and so nutty, I can't imagine anyone else doing it," says producer Richard Zanuck. The actor also employs an accent that Zanuck can only describe as indescribable.

redqueenx-large.jpg

Wonderland was a peaceful kingdom until the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter) took power. "The creatures are ready to revolt and waiting for Alice to help them," says Zanuck. Bonham Carter has a digitally enhanced swelled head to play the domineering crimson ruler, who likes nothing better than to scream "Off with their heads!"

whitequeenx-large.jpg

The White Queen (Anne Hathaway), who was overthrown by her sister, "is beautiful but over the top. She doesn't walk. She floats. She's very eccentric," Zanuck says.​

I already found "Alice in Wonderland as a somewhat dark and creepy already, with Tim Burton's interpretation, it'll be an interesting movie to say the least.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Wow, I'm actually really excited to see this.

+1 This could be really, really cool. If anyone can remake this and make it a lot of fun it's Burton. I wish they had a shot of Alan Rickman as the Caterpillar, I'd like to see that.

OP - do you by any chance have a link to the story? I have a couple of friends I know would love to see this.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MrG;2189493 OP - do you by any chance have a link to the story? I have a couple of friends I know would love to see this.[/QUOTE said:
I can't post the link because the cpu I am using in the moment restrict it but visit USAToday.com and search "Tim Burton Wonderland." It should be the first result.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I sure hope he doesn't **** this up like he did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Early pics look very promising.

I prefer to think of it as he did not add anything of value to the original. Either way I'm in.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I sure hope he doesn't **** this up like he did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Early pics look very promising.

+100. The remake that never should have been.

I'm excited for this, though.

mondayc

Reaction score
The initial pictures look good, but hopefully Burton won't make it pointlessly creepy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads