• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joining a country club. Pros/cons??

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you will go often, then I would consider it. If you aren't going to have the time to attend, then it is kind of pointless. Also, country clubs = golf, to me. To join a country club and not golf is similar to getting season tickets to the Lakers because they have good hot-dogs at the concession stand.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Some great points. And yes the snob factor is entirely up to me...and it shouldnt factor in the decision making process.
Instead of snob factor....maybe it should be exclusivity?? This club is fairly exclusive...

I do think I will use the membership a lot. My wife loves to swim but we cant stand public pools. And again, the potential networking opportunities will be awesome.

Seems like my decision is 99% made.

I think there may be something to joining moderately expensive as opposed to disgustingly expensive clubs. The people there will generally be educated and successful, but you might avoid many of the status seeking types found at ultra-exclusive clubs. I honestly can't remember anyone that was really pretentious at the clubs we were members of. I'm sure there must have been some, but overall it was a hugely positive experience.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 You already answer your question
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
country clubs are for douchebags

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...harvesting relationships that can greatly benefit me..." I like that line.

The snob factor has a great deal to do with superficiality and insecurity. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Too bad you can't get a golf membership. To me, that would seem to be the only reason ever to join.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only con to joining a club is the cost, as it seems you've already determined.

That said... Id think twice about the golf membership. You say you are interested in cultivating some relationships and networks- the only place Ive ever really bonded at the club is on the golf course! That's where the fun is and you really get to meet people without the wifes around.

I rarely bother with the dining option. Food is comparitively mediocre to my local options (but I do live in NYC) and the pool and tennis court of for women and children.

Re-examine the golf, IMO.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It really ranges all over the place. There is a fee to join a club that could be as low as $500 (like mine, for poor or cheap guys) up to $15k or even $25k I've heard. Then you have yearly membership fees on top of that that can be $150 to 5 or 6k. Some places have monthly restaurant fees where you have to pay the fee whether you eat there or not (and then pay for your actual dinner when you do eat).
It depends on the place.

Don't know where you got the $25k from, but they do go for much more than that. To the OP, without golf, I don't understand the point. Then again, I play about 2-3 times a week. My uncle is a member at a country club and loves it. I've played there and it is a great course. Not only is the course top notch (as in one of the best I've played), but the camaraderie aspect with the members made it great as well. Some crappy golfer got lucky one day in a Junior Championship or something and set the course record. Some guys just get lucky on the course once in awhile. I'm sure this guy just got lucky and happened to play out of his mind that day. It was just some nobody named Tiger Woods. But seriously, without golf, I don't quite understand the reasoning behind becoming a member. But with golf, and with the cost and if you can afford it, it is something I would love to do someday.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Cause I'm a smalltimer and that was the highest I'd ever seen personally.

I never thought they cost that much but damn they go for alot more. I'll stick to the public courses. Torrey Pines and great courses like that are public anyways.

rlx

Reaction score
You have to undestand that this is a lifestyle decision. There are many costs in addition to hefty initiation fees and monthly dues. There are monthly minimums for food and mandatory locker, driving range and golf club storage fees. From time to time there are capital assessments, which can be quite high. As soon as your children get old enough to learn your member number, I would suggest being seated when you open your monthly bill in the summer.

Country clubs, however, are social places. Many of our closest friends are people we met at our club.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and join. But, just be aware that when the revolution comes, we are going to hang you.
wink.gif

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
The only con to joining a club is the cost, as it seems you've already determined.

That said... Id think twice about the golf membership. You say you are interested in cultivating some relationships and networks- the only place Ive ever really bonded at the club is on the golf course! That's where the fun is and you really get to meet people without the wifes around.

I rarely bother with the dining option. Food is comparitively mediocre to my local options (but I do live in NYC) and the pool and tennis court of for women and children.

Re-examine the golf, IMO.

I am going back and forth on the golf option. I just dont think I will play enough to get any use out of it in the immediate future. In fact I played my 1st actual round in 2 yrs this morning (however I do plan on trying to play about 2-3 times a month this season). But at the same time, you, and a couple others, make a really good point...the golf course is the best place to meet/bond/network with people. There is a "junior" membership classification...full privileges without voting rights. Initiation fee is a bit more than the social membership but the annual dues are only slightly higher.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's expensive to keep the world, outside .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads