• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joining a country club. Pros/cons??

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking into joining a country club. Ironically I was a waiter at this club while I was on college. Its one of the more prestigious ones in the area.
Not looking at a full membership...just a "social" membership. Access to everything (tennis, pool, dining, etc...) except golf. Though I do play golf, I only play maybe once a month. Initiation fee and annual dues are very reasonable and wont put a dent in my current finances.

Pros:
-Dining...the restaurant serves awesome food.
-Can go swimming/play tennis whenever I and the wife want
-Having a son in Oct...he will have accesses to a lot of activities offered at the club when he starts growing up.
-If I want to golf, I can always lay with another member as a guest
-Potential networking opportunities. I am currently going to a top 5 B-school pursuing a MBA in the evening/weekend program...can make the right connections/harvest relationships that can greatly benefit me when I graduate and if I decide to leave my current employer and do something else.
-Of course there is the snob factor

Cons:
-Snob factor
-Cost...it is expensive.

Cant really thinking of any other cons.

Anyone here belong to one? Is it worth it or a waste of money?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine it's like belonging to a gym. It's worth it as long as you use it frequently. If you join, go five times and then don't go back for months on end then probably not worth your money. If your having a son in october I'd imagine thats going to cut into a lot of your leisure time and it will be years before he gets anything out of it.

mink31

Reaction score
Looking at your lists of pros vs. cons, it looks like you've already made up your mind. So just join already!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're great places to con meet people.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
Looking at your lists of pros vs. cons, it looks like you've already made up your mind. So just join already!

I gleaned this too. You seem to be very interested in joining, and you have more pros than cons, so it appears to be the right idea for you. That said, to echo what gradstudent said, it's only worth it if you actually use it.

I know the initiation fee will effectively become a sunk cost, but if you join and find you're not using it couldn't you discontinue your membership? This way you can give it a shot and if you don't like/use it, you can save the money next year.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, ill be the asshole who asks since everyone is thinking it: how much to these places cost (small timer)

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the "Snob Factor" something that is entirely up to you? You can be a member of a CC without being a snob.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
ok, ill be the asshole who asks since everyone is thinking it: how much to these places cost (small timer)

It really ranges all over the place. There is a fee to join a club that could be as low as $500 (like mine, for poor or cheap guys) up to $15k or even $25k I've heard. Then you have yearly membership fees on top of that that can be $150 to 5 or 6k. Some places have monthly restaurant fees where you have to pay the fee whether you eat there or not (and then pay for your actual dinner when you do eat).
It depends on the place.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

It really depends.

They range from not cheap to very expensive. Some subdivisions (at least here in Atlanta but I would assume elsewhere as well) have country clubs and you have to pay neighborhood association dues and then club dues etc. It also depends on the prestige of the club and how many places you can go. The Capital City Club for example has a downtown club and then a legit country club too.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I belonged to one several years back, but it was more of a golf thing. As someone else said, it's a function of how much you use it. We used ours a lot and it was a smaller club so the costs were reasonable. We had lots of friends that were members and so it was great. We have a boat now that we spend weekends on so I've all but given up golf so we don't have a membership anymore.

BTW. I'd take "snob factor" off the list. I'm not sure what it means. If it means people will think you're a snob for being a member then that's irrelevant. If it means the other members are snobs, then you're joining the wrong club.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It really ranges all over the place. There is a fee to join a club that could be as low as $500 (like mine, for poor or cheap guys) up to $15k or even $25k I've heard.

You left off a zero.

Try up to $250,000.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I belonged to one several years back, but it was more of a golf thing. As someone else said, it's a function of how much you use it. We used ours a lot and it was a smaller club so the costs were reasonable. We had lots of friends that were members and so it was great. We have a boat now that we spend weekends on so I've all but given up golf so we don't have a membership anymore.

BTW. I'd take "snob factor" off the list. I'm not sure what it means. If it means people will think you're a snob for being a member then that's irrelevant. If it means the other members are snobs, then you're joining the wrong club.

+1 Our family was a member of a couple private clubs when I was younger, and I really loved them. The people were great and I had a lot of fun. My parents enjoyed them as well. I'll definitely join one when I have more money.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
+1 Our family was a member of a couple private clubs when I was younger, and I really loved them. The people were great and I had a lot of fun. My parents enjoyed them as well. I'll definitely join one when I have more money.

Some great points. And yes the snob factor is entirely up to me...and it shouldnt factor in the decision making process.
Instead of snob factor....maybe it should be exclusivity?? This club is fairly exclusive...

I do think I will use the membership a lot. My wife loves to swim but we cant stand public pools. And again, the potential networking opportunities will be awesome.

Seems like my decision is 99% made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads