• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what available jobs are there for teens?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
this thread is ******* marsupialed. there's nothing wrong with not wanting to work at mcdonalds. there's lots of jobs that he can do that will 'build character'. forcing yourself to do something you despise for eight hours a day doesn't make you a better person, it just makes you hate your life.

you couldn't be more wrong.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Let's see....Matt's catalogue of kid jobs.

In my younger years I...

Carried a tray around selling Coke at football games.
Umpired Indoor Cricket.
Drove pizzas around.
Got promoted...made pizzas.
Worked in juice bars.
Worked in real bars (younger drinking age in Australia - I was 18).
Campus selling college sweaters in the US
Waited tables in a cafe.
Cellar master for three bars and a restaurant at cricket games.
Worked in men's accessories in one department store.
Worked in men's shirts and accessories in a different department store.
Promoted - worked in men's suits in second department store.

Entered real world.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
Get a ****** job. You'll thank yourself for it later.

+1

Probably a turning point with regard to responsibility was the summer I worked as a waiter in a camp.

Lots of grunt work, early hours and good ole responsibility.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
selling drugs is still a job. but i would consider it to be one of the more enjoyable jobs. you sit around and get paid.
tounge.gif
but comes along the disadvantages of being caught or robbed of your own drugs.

oh I didn't realise that counted. Ya, I did that too. And stolen clothes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seriously, if the OP pussies out now, he will be a ***** for the rest of his life. sounds like his family hasn't done such a great job raising him till now, and this might be a good chance to salvage him.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
sounds like his family hasn't done such a great job raising him till now,
that might be going a bit far Zach....but quotes like this:
Originally Posted by playdohh22
i don't want to work in a place like abercrombie, american eagle, or hollistor, and having to deal with amjacks everyday.
don't augur well. Playdohh, as someone double your age, you can take my advice in one of two ways. Feel free to either: 1. dismiss me as some stupid old **** who doesn't know what it's like to be your age in this day and age, or, 2. someone who is just a whole lot more worldly Either way, I would suggest the earlier you get used to working with customer, clients and colleagues that you do not like, the better. What are you going to do when you become, say, a lawyer...and your biggest client is an AmJack douchebag all-grown-up? Wander in to the partner's office and say 'you know boss, sorry about this, and I know youre billing me at 400 an hour, but, uhh, I can't work with Steve cos his polo shirt has a moose on it, he pops his collar and drinks Jagerbombs....'

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ To add to what they already said, "****** jobs" are only ****** when you put out ****** work, otherwise, there is always something worth learning.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^^^ To add to what they already said, "****** jobs" are only ****** when you put out ****** work, otherwise, there is always something worth learning.
a great point Son. As many of you know, I work in PR - I got my start in PR using all my years of retail as a selling point. I still remember my first successful job interview with a PR firm, where I said "well I have spent all these years in customer service, and isn't that the cousin of client service?"

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
that's like 15 bucks. Negotiate right, you could have bought the girl for that and done it a second time in the morning.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I did this for about 2 years and it was absolutely miserable, but maybe it's just the library system I worked in.

When you were 10?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Outside of a few posters, what great advice the OP is getting here.

I think we've not told the lad the secret about just about every job: they all have their components that suck.

Even at C-level, I heavily identify with the speech Calcettie got as the brand new Mayor of B-more in The Wire, from the one term white mayor from many years prior. In order to keep your eye on the prize, you have to eat bowls of **** all day long. The **** might come in a silver bowl, as you're the boss, but to be an effective boss means you probably have to eat more **** than just about anyone else. Being an effective boss means you have to swallow the **** when all you really want to do is reach into someone's chest cavity, pull out their beating heart, and eat it in front of them.

Getting a ****** job with hardly any responsibility will prepare you for the **** eating you need to do in any job with responsibility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics