1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

what available jobs are there for teens?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by playdohh22, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

sorry to bring up this thread again.

well, the manager just called me back today, and scheduled an interview for me tomorrow.

my question is do i need to dress up? and who should i expect to interview me?

That's a tough call. I mean, the whole organization strikes me as semi-hippy, but dammit, it's an interview! Dress shirt and slacks for sure. I can't make the call on a tie.

Good luck though.

2. unjung

unjung Senior member

That's a tough call. I mean, the whole organization strikes me as semi-hippy, but dammit, it's an interview! Dress shirt and slacks for sure. I can't make the call on a tie.

Good luck though.

You're right, it does tend to be a bit of a hippy organization, I was just thinking of the store in my neighbourhood. The guys there seem to dress pretty conservatively.

No tie.

3. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

being a barista is a great job for teens. i worked in coffee for 2 years and learned a lot, and met some awesome people. it helps you learn how to keep attention to detail, maintain a sense of urgency, and multi-task.

plus, like most entry-level food industry jobs, once you start learning about the finer points of coffee and espresso -- you will hardly ever drink starbuck's again. [​IMG]

4. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

I would dress like a Starbucks employee... that probably means dark (black) pants (not baggy, not jeans, not torn), black shoes, and a freshly ironed button-up shirt (with a collar). Fairly staid and boring would be appropriate.

The manager who set up the interview will likely interview you; I would not expect a second interviewer.

Shake hands firmly, smile a lot, don't mumble, speak up, and focus on conveying to him or her how eager you are to try a customer service job.

Brush your teeth and make sure your hair looks appropriate (young and stylish).

thank you for the advice.

let's just say i happen to get the job. are you meaning to say i will be required to wear black pants and shoes together? [​IMG]

i was thinking at least a jacket. oh well, i think it's going to be warm tomorrow anyway.

5. unjung

unjung Senior member

thank you for the advice.

let's just say i happen to get the job. are you meaning to say i will be required to wear black pants and shoes together? [​IMG]

i was thinking at least a jacket. oh well, i think it's going to be warm tomorrow anyway.

As Pio suggested, I doubt it, but it's pretty typical to dress slightly better for an interview than you would expect to dress on a daily basis (up to the point of wearing a suit on a daily basis - don't wear black tie to an interview).

6. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

what i was really trying to say was, i don't think black pants and black shoes don't go well together, if only worn with a shirt.

7. unjung

unjung Senior member

what i was really trying to say was, i don't think black pants and black shoes don't go well together, if only worn with a shirt.

I don't not think that black pants and shoes don't not go together.

If it makes you happy wear something else.

8. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm also in high school and thought I could offer a little of advice.

If you don't need money, think about an unpaid internship. If you have good academic standing, some distinguishing skills, and the chutzpah to apply for internship programs that usually only take college kids, you might be surprised at the sort of stuff you can land. Colleges eat that shit up.

While I think it's important to do some blue collar work, I sympathize with your not wanting to work at McDonalds. If I did that, I'd feel like a bit of a sellout too. Think a little outside of the box on this. I'm thinking about working as a farm/ranch hand or maybe as a crew member on a cargo ship up in Lake Superior. Consider that kind of stuff.

9. playdohh22

playdohh22 Senior member

quick question: could i wear a dress belt with casual pants?

10. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

If you're 18, you can work on an organic form , WWoOF.org I believe... (assuming you don't need $)

11. inq89

inq89 Senior member

To OP, try looking at a local hospital for a PRN ("as needed") position. I work as a pharmacy technician 2 alternating weekends a month and get paid $12+ an hour...that's probably not alot in NYC but its pretty good money here for daily spending and gas money. Also great hours since my shift is during the weekends and that allows me time for college. Downside is you'll probably have to be at least 18 years old and may get a professional license for whatever you may be doing. (I did not for my tech position, my state does not require it)

12. neeZy

neeZy Senior member

13. dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67 Senior member

anything that tips well

car valet at a hotel or something

14. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Senior member

One job that's available almost anywhere for a teenager is waiting tables.

Make bucks, meet chicks [​IMG]

15. Egdon Heath

Egdon Heath Senior member

Just discovered this thread.
    I'm more familar with the OP than the rest of you. We exchanged a number of PMs over the winter when he inquired about a posting of mine on AAAC where I mask as Peak and Pine and he as here, Playdohh22.
    Kid, you acted a lot brighter there than you are here. You live in lower Manhattan with your folks. Kids from all over the U.S. woud kill to come where you are to work for the summer, but they can't afford to live there. You don't have that worry. Buck up. You could find work tonight if you tried. And do, please, 'cause there's an eBay bill to settle, if you're catching my drift.​

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

17. javyn

javyn Senior member

OP at your age, I'd recommend a shit retail/service job where you'll have to deal with people on a regular basis and actually see what people are like. It will serve you incredibly well in the future.

My first (paying) job was as a cashier at a grocery store. I quickly learned that you can divide people up into two groups: those who try to short change you and cheat you, and those too stupid to count their own money.

18. jptoor

jptoor Well-Known Member

I did fast food. I only work a few hours a week. Then I got a furniture moving position that paid $14.50 an hour, but the hours were from 6am to 2pm. I died everyday, and I was falling asleep at 2 every afternoon, waking up at midnight, watching tv, then going to work again. I also got a job for the city setting up city events. 4th of July netted me $600 for 3 days of work, and I got $40 for 4 hours at a Farmer's Market. There is work out there, just go out there and find it.