• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kettlebells?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah get your press up and you'll be fine.

Ahriman4891

Reaction score

Becks23

Reaction score
I doubt I will get any kettlebells soon, seems ridiculous to get them shipped to Hong Kong... but I definitely need to incorporate these get-ups into my work-out. My AC Joint is messed up as of late.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Becks23
I doubt I will get any kettlebells soon, seems ridiculous to get them shipped to Hong Kong... but I definitely need to incorporate these get-ups into my work-out. My AC Joint is messed up as of late.

You can do Turkish Get-Ups with dumbbells.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup and barbells too! some kb users say that the getup is in fact easiest to perform with a kettlebell as opposed to other implements.

Becks23

Reaction score
The plates at my gym are those wack-ass ___tagonal ones with the handles so in essense I realized they're a bit KB-esque.

I tried Turkish Get-Ups today but I was quite awkward with the motion cause I was just refering from memory the whole process.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
since I brought up The Get Up; Is the first stage of it completely horrifying to anyone else? I'm talking about the moment you are still on your back and the KB is pressed above your head just before you begin to stand up, I always get so worried about something happening and it falling on my head.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you locking out the arm holding the kb completely and supporting yourself by locking out the opposite arm, and putting it in line with the kb as well?

Search for Jeff Martone turkish get up on youtube and he goes through it step by step in a few videos.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
make sure your shoulder is active through the whole stage of the getup. I find a good way to make sure your shoulder is active is to shrug it in the opposite direction the weight is pushing it towards. If the weight is above you pushing down, shrug your shoulder up towards your ear. It will make it much more stable, secure, and stronger.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, per Pavel's new book (it's pretty much all old stuff, by the way - just incorporates some Mahler and some Viking type training) I've been doing double presses with a 16kg and a 24 kg, alternating of course. It's been interesting. I do feel that I am getting more of a bang for the buck - double the number of presses, albeit with lower weight, and more coordination/whole body work.

Definitely going down the road to a second 24 though.. or biggerer..

Becks23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
Are you locking out the arm holding the kb completely and supporting yourself by locking out the opposite arm, and putting it in line with the kb as well? Search for Jeff Martone turkish get up on youtube and he goes through it step by step in a few videos.
Keeping everything in line is such an important concept throughout lifting. After I few go's at get-ups it was pretty easy and fun. Even doing it with a 35 lbs plate was pretty taxing after 5-6 reps/shoulder

rbny

Reaction score
Been gone a while but happy to see that you are all still doing kettlebells-getting more into it myself. A buddy of mine who I train kettlebells with just recently returned from Pavel's RKC II certification test and although he passed, apparently about 60 to 70 percent failed.

On another note, does anyone own DD bells that were made in the US and the "newer" ones that are curently being made overseas? If you do, do you notice a difference? I own a US made 1.5 pood (24kg) DD bell that I purchased almost a year ago and I would like to get more and stay with DD but not if the quality went down now that they're making them overseas. All the DD bells that I use are the older DD ones that were made in the US.

Yeah I know it's silly and I think (hope) that the quality is probably the same.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a DD bell less than a month ago - I thought it was made in the USA, but don't see anything on the site or KB to indicate that. Quality is fine - black epoxy everywhere, the handle is a little slick because of the paint, no apparently problems with the KB.

I'm going to order a couple of American Kettlebell Club KBs next, though - cheaper, with unpainted handles.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered a second 53 pounder so that I can do doubles work, renegade rows, and all that good ****.

wooo woooo~!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads