Kettlebells?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JLibourel, Apr 18, 2008.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

interesting, I have only done high reps with kb, never low reps. probrably because the guy who tought me form did high reps. my gym has some heavy kb's, I should try that and see how I like it

2. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

if you work for speed, it's really like doing a big set or a complex. with a good weight, even low reps is good for a good workout.

3. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

really high frequency can be really fun with a lighter weight.. I do eventually wanna do the nonstop 200 snatches with a 53lbs, but that's gonna take some time...

4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

So... Pavel's new book apparently has a lot of double kb work.. I am thinking a) What a great marketing strategy to sell more DD bells and b) I should probably order a second 53 # now..

5. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I want my 2nd 53# too...

6. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

going to have to pick it up then. what's it called? I've been watching mahler's size and strength DVD recently and have finally gotten down the strict double military press.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

8. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

going to have to pick it up then. what's it called? I've been watching mahler's size and strength DVD recently and have finally gotten down the strict double military press.
    return of the kettlebell - mine just shipped.. I'll let you know how it compares to the other material. I have a feeling it's gonna be a lot of the same stuff as Mahler, just with Pavel's usual twists.

9. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

You know those outrageous claims the kettlebell kultists make about improving other lifts even though you're only kettlebelling?

After only having done kettlebells for the last five weeks, I walked into the gym to fuck around and decided to test my barbell overhead press. Went from a 1RM of 135 to putting up 145 for three reps. again, only my personal experience here.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Anyone know where a 20lb kettlbell can be had for cheap online? My play it again sports charges $2 per pound which is alot considering its used

11. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Anyone know where a 20lb kettlbell can be had for cheap online? My play it again sports charges $2 per pound which is alot considering its used

A kettlebell of that size can often be found at Target or a major sports equipment store (Dick's, Sports Authority, etc). That is a pretty small KB though. Most say to start with a 35 lb'er.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

A kettlebell of that size can often be found at Target or a major sports equipment store (Dick's, Sports Authority, etc). That is a pretty small KB though. Most say to start with a 35 lb'er.
    I've got a 30lb'er that I have been swinging with. I need something a bit lighter for getups After a year of half ass going to the gym I'm really weak again. I'll check target, thanks.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I know getups can be tough to get into at first, but going down in weight might be a stretch.

I say just concentrate on presses and snatches a bit, and keep trying at the getup.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to do that then. I'd rather spend the money on something else.
    I was thinking today that since I've already have had / have an athletic body I should start seeing increases in strength relatively fast because I have the mass still from when i worked out and I know how to diet properly.

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

You definitely have to get used to handling the bells. TGU is pretty tricky unless you figure shit out first.