Kettlebells?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JLibourel, Apr 18, 2008.

1. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Saw someone using the kettle's last night. He was doing some sort of snatch but was letting go of the handle and catching it with the other arm on the way down. WTF is that?

sounds strange. Was he juggling them?

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

sounds strange. Was he juggling them?

[​IMG]

Nope. It looked like some sort/clean from a bent over position except when he got to about head hight, he would release the kb and then catch it with his other hand while it was falling.

3. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

[​IMG]

Nope. It looked like some sort/clean from a bent over position except when he got to about head hight, he would release the kb and then catch it with his other hand while it was falling.

A hand to hand swing?
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

A hand to hand swing?
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Yep, that was it.

5. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

also much easier than it looks...

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

also much easier than it looks...

What purpose does this exercise serve?

7. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

cardio/conditioning. you use your hips to drive the weight up and your arms are worked holding on to the weight.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

cardio/conditioning. you use your hips to drive the weight up and your arms are worked holding on to the weight.

I meant in a more real world sense but fair enough.

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

if you do it right it hits everything... kind of like a deadlift..

10. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

You get a good feeling about transferring explosive force from your feet to the rest of your body. I find it helps deadlifting, running, jumping, etc. also you get really good at hip thrusting.

11. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

The best exercise routine is always one you will do, rather than one you don't have time or energy for. If it takes a goofy looking weight to get you to lift it, more power to the kettlebell.

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

The best exercise routine is always one you will do, rather than one you don't have time or energy for. If it takes a goofy looking weight to get you to lift it, more power to the kettlebell.

Best and most fun workouts I've ever had. Also right up there with the most challenging, and it keeps me coming back.

The balls just sit there in the corner and call my name - I can't resist doing a few lifts here and there even on my off days.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

robertorex, what do you current workouts look like? in terms of sets/time/etc...

14. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

I like to do 5 rounds of a few sets of low-rep exercises, as fast as possible. the last one I did was:

5x swing
    5x clean
    5x push press
    5x clean and jerk

resting 2mins between each round. I did this with double kettlebells that are on the heavy side for me, so I feel I'm getting a good workout even with the relatively low rep scheme. I just ordered Mike Mahler's DVD so I'm going to try and experiment with the workouts he does soon.

For single KB workouts, I tend towards higher reps.

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I like to do 5 rounds of a few sets of low-rep exercises, as fast as possible. the last one I did was:

5x swing
    5x clean
    5x push press
    5x clean and jerk

resting 2mins between each round. I did this with double kettlebells that are on the heavy side for me, so I feel I'm getting a good workout even with the relatively low rep scheme. I just ordered Mike Mahler's DVD so I'm going to try and experiment with the workouts he does soon.

For single KB workouts, I tend towards higher reps.

ahh very cool.

I used to do up to 500x with a single 35, now that I work mostly with a single 53 its more like 200x, similar to yours, like

5 rounds of

20 sw
    10 press
    10 row

or whatever, mixing in SN, C&P, etc.

i should probably mix in a day of HF swings or snatches in there somewhere... And def get a 2nd 53 down the road...