• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lear

Reaction score
I love my RMW boots. We've been through some great times together. I'm typing this very softly; they're breathing gently in the corner after a hard day out. I don't want to upset them, so may I quietly ask whether I'll get a much improved shine, going from RMW yearling to RMW calf. I like the mirror shine I get on the reinforced yearling toecaps, but find that after a while, the rest of the body becomes too wrinkled to practically maintain this. Or, should I forget RMW altogether (what am I saying) and head toward the G&G Chelsea boot? If so, how will I break it to the black pair in the corner? Have to go , I think they can sense something is up... Lear

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
I love my RMW boots. We've been through some great times together. I'm typing this very softly; they're breathing gently in the corner after a hard day out. I don't want to upset them, so may I quietly ask whether I'll get a much improved shine, going from RMW yearling to RMW calf. I like the mirror shine I get on the reinforced yearling toecaps, but find that after a while, the rest of the body becomes too wrinkled to practically maintain this. Or, should I forget RMW altogether (what am I saying) and head toward the G&G Chelsea boot? If so, how will I break it to the black pair in the corner?

Have to go , I think they can sense something is up...

Lear

I believe that creasing is just a characteristic of chelsea boots.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It's part and parcel of the overall package. Look upon it with pride
biggrin.gif

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my RMW boots. We've been through some great times together. I'm typing this very softly; they're breathing gently in the corner after a hard day out. I don't want to upset them, so may I quietly ask whether I'll get a much improved shine, going from RMW yearling to RMW calf. I like the mirror shine I get on the reinforced yearling toecaps, but find that after a while, the rest of the body becomes too wrinkled to practically maintain this. Or, should I forget RMW altogether (what am I saying) and head toward the G&G Chelsea boot? If so, how will I break it to the black pair in the corner?

Have to go , I think they can sense something is up...

Lear

Is your issue that you can't maintain a mirror shine on the toe caps or that you can't maintain a mirror shine on the entire body? I find it quite difficult with any shoes to maintain a mirror shine anywhere but the toe caps and perhaps the heel - the body of the shoe flexes too much for me.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Is your issue that you can't maintain a mirror shine on the toe caps or that you can't maintain a mirror shine on the entire body? I find it quite difficult with any shoes to maintain a mirror shine anywhere but the toe caps and perhaps the heel - the body of the shoe flexes too much for me.

Same here, it is probably better for the life of the shoe to only mirror shine the toes and heels.

Lear

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I do realize that the mirror shine is really only achievable on the toe and heel. I'm referring to the fact that the rest of the body is taking on a highly wrinkled appearance, beyond crease lines. It makes it very difficult to have even a normal shine on those parts. The contrast is quite odd. I'm thinking that it is probably to do with the quality of leather. Yearling after all, is made to take the knocks, rather than a shine.

I'll be curious to see how G&G boots compare.

But wait, I hear my RMW boots calling me... Got to go...

Lear

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I do realize that the mirror shine is really only achievable on the toe and heel. I'm referring to the fact that the rest of the body is taking on a highly wrinkled appearance, beyond crease lines. It makes it very difficult to have even a normal shine on those parts. The contrast is quite odd. I'm thinking that it is probably to do with the quality of leather. Yearling after all, is made to take the knocks, rather than a shine.

I'll be curious to see how G&G boots compare.

But wait, I hear my RMW boots calling me... Got to go...

Lear

I've had several yearling RMW boots, so four total. The quality of yearling varies incredibly.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I've had several yearling RMW boots, so four total. The quality of yearling varies incredibly.
And the sizing. The two pairs of MTO boots I ordered, are larger than the exact same model I bought in the shop. I can live with it, using thicker socks plus half-length innersoles. Love the style though. Beautiful.

justaute

Reaction score
Wow... those are "pretty." I loved the more "angular" chiseled toe. It reminds me of the Martegani I have in 7Y last.

Of course, one pair of those G&G chelseas can buy six pairs of RMW Craftsman.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti

I have three pairs in yearling. Two chestnut and one black. The appearance of the leather is certainly different between them but I imagine that the quality of it is the same.

I'm developing a mirror shine on the toe-caps and heels (just love well-polished heels; nothing beats checking folks shoes from behind) using my old army cadet era spit and polish. Have achieved a duller, more subdued shine on the rest of the boot.

Don't believe the creasing is any different from any other shoes I've had. I've worn each pair on average every third day for the last six months.

Just received tracking info on my mock crocs. They've arrived in Stockholm after two days from Bootsonline. Domestic processing and shipping still to come. When they arrive I'll post pics of the whole collection.

Cheers

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Nice amce - you'll like the mock croc, I'm enjoying wearing mine
wink.gif
Despite being MC they go well with everything from jeans to a navy blue suit.

Really looking forward to them. The purchase was inspired by the pics you posted on the Appreciation thread. BTW , what colour polish or cream do you use on them?

Cheers

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use mid brown shoe cream. The mock croc seems to be a less 'absorbant' leather than that of the calf shoes I own, but the shoe cream does the trick.

My pair have some lighter brown sections along the flank of the boot, and I suspect the colour variations will, well, vary a bit from each individual pair, so yours will probably be different. I think the mid brown covers all bases as it polishes the darker sections without darkening the lighter sections.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads