• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T-shirts under suit jackets

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
miami-vice-7.jpg

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't think the collar thing is a big issue, I have several odd jackets I have worn with t-shirts many times and have never noticed this to be a problem.
If you are really worried you can get the collar replaced I would have thought, although not in the same fabric - replacing greasy collars is where the tradition of velvet collars sprang from.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6
Wear a polo shirt but don't do the T-shirt.
You need some for of collared shirt to protect your jacket from perspiration.
T-shirt with jacket was always a ridiculous look.

No.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
A tee-shirt with suit look can work, but it needs to be something from the likes of Dior Homme or something equally youthful and designer-y.

Yes! Exactly what I was thinking. Fuuma is likely to have a good reference pic. I don't remember a specific one, but he def first comes to mind when thinking of that look.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear a T-shirt under a sports coat. I still feel guilty for having done so, 50 years later!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not my thing but it's hardly fashion forward. What ever that means. You'll see priests to bankers dressed like that over here
crackup[1].gif
But I don't see much difference between the winter look of a sweater and jacket.

What does the OP mean with supporting the jacket? Your chest/shoulders do that.

Never wear a polo or similar under a jacket. It's such a hillibilly look. A polo isn't a dress shirt.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
No.

Yes! Exactly what I was thinking. Fuuma is likely to have a good reference pic. I don't remember a specific one, but he def first comes to mind when thinking of that look.

No.

Wear at minimum, a button-down.

Biscione

Reaction score
LK is quite right; it can look good, but only in very specific circumstances. It certainly requires a quite slim-fitting suit as well as someone thin and young wearing it. I wouldn't wear this look with t-shirts with graphics or in anything but grey or white, either. Too many people make this mistake.

When done correctly, it's a delightful incongruity. When not, it's really dismal.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
TTN: The 90's called! They want their style back!!

king_pen

Reaction score
i have never liked the look of a tee with a jacket, and until recently i couldn't quite figure out why. it's because there is no shirt coming out of the sleeve. the jacket looks incomplete in my opinion if it just goes from jacket to skin.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bullshit. A T-shirt under a suit jacket can look just fine.

You have to have the right shirt, something that is rather close around the neck, its an epic fail if you show any hair, that COMPLETELY rules out a vneck T.

As was hinted to above, you have to be careful. You run the risk of looking like a tropical island outcast, mobster, coke head, latin lover, or guy that has been out all night (or all at once). Definitely avoid the matching suit with a T-shirt -ick. If you do that you might as well get the gold chain to match.

Dress this look down, casual pants, casual shoes, no tassels. I'd probably say no to the PS as well.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I was considering wearing a pink t-shirt with a pale linen suit. And having a moustache, wearing aviators...

...all in the name of an eighties themed night. And even then I didn't do it, so no, I don't think it's a good idea
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics