• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SwissArmySuit™: a sartorial strip tease

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
I'm thinking the sleeves are detachable and can be transferred between the jacket and vest to go from SB to DB.

That would be the shortest DB jacket, we have ever seen around here.
Even the Thom Browne victims would look like wearing frock coats in comparison...
smile.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm thinking that there must be a second pair of trousers without the high back, to be worn more casually without the vest. That still doesn't get my mind to a wider gulf between formal and casual - just a similar gulf stradling a more formal part of the spectrum.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
I thought about that ... even if the engineering is possible, there is the problem of length on the vest. So I dropped the idea. We have to think out of the box - rather out of the suit.

Yeah, I wasn't serious about that. I really have no idea what's going on here. Manton's BlazerSuit was just usable in separate pieces. But Vox has been hyping this one as a complicated engineering project.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that suit is the most flattering thing you have posted. I don't know if it was the one button or just the shape of the jacket but it looks terrific.
After all the build up the swiss armyness better be pretty exciting, maybe the waistcoat turns into swimming trunks and the jacket is lined with terrycloth so you can go straight from the beach to the boardroom?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be more versatile if you had horizontal zips on the trouser legs above or below the knee, for conversion to shorts.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wish I were smart enough to figure this out. Vox, your posts are always informative and entertaining. I'm dying to know what it is you do for a living.

Not that this is all that bold a statement, but I'm sure it has something to do with the jacket. He's gone out of his way not to show us any closeups of the jacket, even though we got some closeups of the vest and trousers. I am guessing that he could wear any other trousers with this to dress it down.

I can't imagine it's reversible. How the hell would you get the thing to look right? The shoulders, drape... and the sleeve buttoning would be impossibly complex. And he mentioned the lining.

The jacket could be dressed down with more casual buttons, so I'd guess that the buttons are interchangeable in some simple fashion. Still, putting gold buttons on a one-button jacket might appear odd.

But that can't be it. Trick buttons are neat, but not all that novel.

Sebastian

Reaction score

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably all held together by VelcroÂ
00ae.png

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in addition to being able to swap out the one button shown, that the jacket can accommodate multiple buttons. Look at how the lapel rolls in his jacket open picture. It doesn't roll naturally to the one button. I can't see the button holes for the other buttons, but it's likely that instead of traditional buttonholes he just has normal slits. That or he photoshopped them out.

If that isn't the case, than I don't like the way the lapel rolls when the jacket is open.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackl3232
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...37#post1862437

I think there's a hint in there somewhere...

Good catch. So it is a suit and a blazer, all in one. The jacket is not definitely reversible. The only way then this would work is if all the compoents of the jacket "come out" and you can manually reverse them all and put it back together.

I am reminded of one of DoW's trousers where he had boxers attached by buttons. Maybe a really CRAZY arrangement of similar sorts might work here. But I still cannot understand what happens to the canvas, sleeve lining etc. Those can't stand all by themselves, can they?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
I think in addition to being able to swap out the one button shown, that the jacket can accommodate multiple buttons.

Swapping buttons alone wouldn't make it SwissArmySuit. Think man, think!

I really like the lapel roll on this suit, its expertly done.

Vox, is there a prize for the person who correctly guesses how the SwissArmySuit works?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't have a reversible jacket, I'm trying to dodge working so I just put one of my jackets on inside out, in the manner I would imagine a reversible jacket would be put on, and I should think if sufficient thought was put into the construction this could work.

Blackl3232

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
I can't see the button holes for the other buttons, but it's likely that instead of traditional buttonholes he just has normal slits. That or he photoshopped them out.

That was one of the first things I noticed...maybe it's just the picture quality, but in the picture with the jacket unbuttoned the buttonhole is nearly invisible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads