• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicranch

Reaction score
PSA: The Alden store in DC has black shell cordovan wingtips on sale for about $375. Decent range of sizes, mostly smaller. Also a 10.5E, I think. Not the greatest deal, but getting any Alden cordovan on sale is pretty rare.

Also a pretty good selection of various shoes in the rare cordovan colors (whiskey, ravello, etc.) at full price.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the woman who owns the store is really nice. bought my aldens from her, will be going back soon

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kit99bar
Do you recall which last the wingtips are on?
Thank you for the PSA!

Plaza, maybe? I don't remember for sure. I do remember that they are on a single leather rather than double leather sole.

Originally Posted by Teger
the woman who owns the store is really nice. bought my aldens from her, will be going back soon

Agreed. Super helpful, non-snobby and friendly. (Unlike, in my experience, the staff at the DC Allen Edmonds store)

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I just placed an order for the Indy boots at ShermanBrothers.com and got 10% off with the code: Stimulus.

No tax and free shipping on orders $50 or more. Sounded like a good deal $288 shipped.

^
Thanks for the code! Ordered some 405s too. $288 out the door.
I called them and was told they're on backorder but I'm in no rush to get them so it's all good.
I almost bought them at Alden San Francisco but they were $344 plus tax which makes them $373. Nice little saving right there. Thanks again.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have contact for the Alden DC store. I just tried the number I got of an AAAC thread, but it seemed to go to a personal voicemail.

That number was (202) 347-2308

Edit: Never mind, either it forwarded to voice mail while the store is closed, or I misdialed, that is the right number.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbny
I have the Barrie lasted Plain Toe Boots (PTB) in shell cord, color 8 and think they are great. See link:

I just noticed that you're from N...'s their link: [URL]http://www.citishoes.com/

Good luck.

I made it over to citieshoes and salesman had me try on a calfskin low plaza cap toe. Size 8D fit quite well (i'm indy boot=7.5D). THough when i looked on their website, it noted that shoe as the hampton last.

So i'm not positive i actually tried on the plaze or the hampton.

rbny

Reaction score
It sounds like you tried on a Hampton lasted shoe. Unless it was a special shoe order by Citishoes, Alden does not make a cap-toed plaza last shoe as a standard item; it has to be special ordered for the plaza last.

I hesitate to recommend a size for anyone since everyone's feet are different. I can only tell you MY personal experience and others that I've seen first hand.

Call Leather Hawaii and ask them for their advice. You may want to call LS soon since they sell out of their popular styles fairly quickly and you may end up waiting several months before your order comes in.

As I've state previously, I'm going to try to visit Citishoes or the Alden store on 344 Madison Avenue and 44th Street so I can try on a Hampton lasted shoe and get back to you on my experience.

rbny

Reaction score
Ok, I found this in the "askandy" forums which can also be found in the Men's Clothing section of this forum. This is from Tom at Leather Soul Hawaii and his personal experience in the different fittings of the Alden lasts. Note that his experience with the Barrie last size compared to his Plaza last size is similar to mine.

From Tom at Leather Soul Hawaii:

"Below are MY personal Alden fitting comments, yours may vary from mine. I've also written my personal size in each.

Barrie-Fullest fitting last all the way through. (8 1/2E or 8 1/2EE)

Plaza-Just about as long as the Barrie, with a squared toe and tighter in the mid-foot area. (8 1/2EE, but in most cases 9E, some shell cordovan bluchers 9D)

Leydon-"Mini Barrie," just about 1/2 size smaller than the Barrie. (9E, 9EE would be great but there is no EE Leydon)

Aberdeen-Narrow, tight toe box area. (8 1/2EE or 9E)

Copley-Aberdeen with more room in the toe. (8 1/2 EE or 9E)

Hampton-Shorter than Barrie, wide toe area, narrow mid-foot area. (8 1/2 EE or 9E)

Van-Full fitting due to large boxy toe area. (8 1/2E)

Tru-Balance-Similar to Barrie, very neutral shaped last. (8 1/2E or 8 1/2EE):"

indy116

Reaction score
Would Indy boots be an appropriate boot for the computer guy to wear? My "uniform" is pretty much khaki or olive or navy chinos and an OCBD or polo.

I work in the desktop support group at work.. part of our job requires us to move computers around on our hand trucks and four wheel rubbermaid carts, so they could be scuffed and beat up a bit. Not quite the abuse Dr. Jones would give them, but more than the typical office worker. I might be in the executive suite in the morning and in the warehouse in the afternoon. I walk and drive between buildings on our corporate campus, so they'll be exposed to rain or slush or snow. Any problems there?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
do the ultimate indys from LS look that mcuh different from regular indys? I don't know if I like the orangeish color of the regular one

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
do the ultimate indys from LS look that mcuh different from regular indys? I don't know if I like the orangeish color of the regular one
The leather is much nicer, and is a darker shade of brown.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Indy's look kind of awkward with most chino's, imo.

That's what I was afraid of, thanks
frown.gif
Back to the drawing board.

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Indy's look kind of awkward with most chino's, imo.

Well... not to dispute you too much, but Indiana Jones appears to be wearing some khaki chinos...
So, if you like that look, I think it's fine.

On the other hand, I prefer a slightly more dressed up shoe with anything dressier than jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads