• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob

2vuyk41.jpg

20j3igz.jpg

And here's the best dog ever--my old pooch Hamlet, mutt from the pound. I believe he was a sharpei / pit bull / german shepherd (those ears are def shepherd-y).

Hooray for molossers! They are great dogs. Alas, given my proclivity for city living and self-hate for keeping a large breed dog in a city apartment, my next one will likely be some lapdog. Any suggestions?

Looks more as if he were some sort of Great Dane mix to me.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob

Hooray for molossers! They are great dogs. Alas, given my proclivity for city living and self-hate for keeping a large breed dog in a city apartment, my next one will likely be some lapdog. Any suggestions?

There is a thread called "Gay Dogs" or "Cool Dogs" with many breed pics.

Big dog in a small package? If you like molossers/bull breeds I would say Staffy Bull, Pit or smallish Am Bull. Some of the terriers will also work: JRT, Irish, even the Bull Terrier can be a jaunty companion.

Honestly, I find that some large breeds need less exercise than small ones.

lefty

tom288

Reaction score
20080412-_DSC3404.jpg
[/IMG]

My buddy, currently working on Schutzhund training.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weightpull ... hook your dog up to somethng heavy and let him rip.

WeightPull.jpg

Slappy pulls 9889 lbs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Weightpull in Thailand:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Stubby little JRT pulls:

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom288
20080412-_DSC3404.jpg
[/IMG]

My buddy, currently working on Schutzhund training.

Handsome dog. I've been bitten by most everything, but still believe that the GSD is the hardest biting breed.

lefty

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great thread.

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Looks more as if he were some sort of Great Dane mix to me.

Yeah, people would often ask that on walks; his head shape definitely looks like a dane's but he's got a pitbull body, sharpei wrinkles and hair texture, and those ears are naturally vertical. I've always guessed the longer snout shape comes from what I'm assuming is shepherd blood. Regardless, he was such an excellent dog and soooo smart. Buster, on the other hand--cute and lovable as he is--is not the brightest bulb. Mutts definitely have the genetic diversity going for them in the brains department.

dave

Reaction score
I've posted this picture before but here are my random doggies.

IMG_2895.jpg

Always thought i wanted a big dog until i got these guys. Boston Terriers are tons of fun.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bulldog hangtime. Some say this builds jaw strength and I guess you can make that argument, but I think it's just bulldogs scewing around.

gator3.jpg

Am Bull:

Renascence bulldog on springpole:

Crazy hips:

Nice jump and control on this dog:

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CorneliusP
I posit that this is the best dog
I knew the Dachshund was referred to as a Teckel in Germany, but I didn't know this: In Germany, dachshunds are widely called Dackel (both singular and plural). To be classified as a full Teckel, these dogs must undergo blood tracking tests. Classically, any dog of Dackel heritage is given an official tattoo upon one ear. After suitable training, the dog must then follow a blood trail that is at least 48 hours old successfully to its conclusion. Once this is completed, another tattoo is marked on the other ear to denote full Teckel rank. Teckel, whether tattooed or not, are bred for hunting purposes, and they tend to be visibly larger in their chests than their Dackel counterparts, though marginally shorter in length. Here are some shots from the The North American Teckel Club - a group dedicated to preserving the hunting Dachshund. Nicely balanced wirehair:
conformation_17.jpg
Dachshund and Lurcher hunting together:
fox-hunting_52.jpg
Dachshund and falcon partner with game:
falconry_53.jpg
lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
There is a thread called "Gay Dogs" or "Cool Dogs" with many breed pics.

Big dog in a small package? If you like molossers/bull breeds I would say Staffy Bull, Pit or smallish Am Bull. Some of the terriers will also work: JRT, Irish, even the Bull Terrier can be a jaunty companion.

Honestly, I find that some large breeds need less exercise than small ones.

lefty

Agree. Earlier you counseled one poster that two walks a day would be insufficient. I usually gave my Tosas a 45-minute walk in the morning and a similar one at night (longer--and sometimes a third walk--on weekends), and that regimen seemed to keep them happy and in good shape. We had no problems to speak of resulting from restlessness and destructive chewing. They were really very easy keepers. Just too bad so many of them die so young--a real problem with all your large molossers.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Agree. Earlier you counseled one poster that two walks a day would be insufficient. I usually gave my Tosas a 45-minute walk in the morning and a similar one at night (longer--and sometimes a third walk--on weekends), and that regimen seemed to keep them happy and in good shape. We had no problems to speak of resulting from restlessness and destructive chewing. They were really very easy keepers. Just too bad so many of them die so young--a real problem with all your large molossers.

I should clarify. My guess is that most people's idea of a city walk is less than 30 minutes - once or twice around the block. For a young, active and athletic dog that would be insufficient and result in a bored dog which is a destructive dog. However, if each of these "walks" is a 45 - 60 minute romp, then you may be okay. As you point out, larger breeds - especially molossers - need less exercise and generally are easy keepers. Given the choice between a Bull Mastiff and a JRT in a city apartment, I would choose the BM. And two 45 minute outings - one a walk, the other an easy run. Plus another bathroom break before bed.

Most dog behavioral "problems" can be solved with exercise and relieving boredom.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads