• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rick Owens rules of style list

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://men.style.com/details/feature...d=content_8477

I'm not good at subtlety. If you're not going to be discreet and quiet, then just go all the way and have the balls to shave off your eyebrows, bleach your hair, and put on some big bracelets.

Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead.

I've lived in Paris for six years, and I'm sorry to say that the Ugly American syndrome still exists. Sometimes you just want to say "Stop destroying the landscape with your outfit." Still, from a design standpoint, I'm tempted to redo the fanny pack. I look at it as a challenge"”it's something to react against.

When a suit gets middle-of-the-road it kind of loses me"”it has to be sharp and classic and almost forties.

Hair and shoes say it all. Everything in between is forgivable as long as you keep it simple. Trying to talk with your clothes is passive-aggressive.

There's something a little too chatterboxy about color. Right now I want black, for its sharpness and punctuation.

Jean-Michel Frank, the thirties interior and furniture designer, supposedly had 40 identical double-breasted gray flannel suits. He knew himself and is a wonderful example of restraint and extravagance.

I hate rings and bracelets on men. I'm not a fan of man bags, or girl bags either"”or even sunglasses. I don't like fussy accessories. Isn't it more chic to be free? Every jacket I make has interior pockets big enough to store a book and a sandwich and a passport.

With layering, sometimes the more the better. When you layer a lot of black you're like a walking Louise Nevelson sculpture, and that's pretty attractive. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable is also one of the most attractive things you can do.

It's funny"”whenever someone talks about rules, I just want to break them. I recoil from the whole idea of rules.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Every jacket I make has interior pockets big enough to store a book and a sandwich and a passport."

bounce2.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gotta love him. and i agree on rules. but i'm surprised about his statements about suits since there is little redeeming about the way he cuts his.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
but i'm surprised about his statements about suits since there is little redeeming about the way he cuts his.
I wouldn't be surprised if he had at least a couple of well cut, traditional suits in one of his closets.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gotta love him. and i agree on rules. but i'm surprised about his statements about suits since there is little redeeming about the way he cuts his.

+1

Though I like the way the tailored stuff looks in his most recent collections (before was pretty bad, especially considering the price) it is pretty far from the forties.

Still I fuckin' love Rick; a not insignificant amount of his line's appeal is the man himself. I like my artists and designers larger than life.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot respect a man who has worn high heeled boots. I cannot understand how anyone else can.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
I cannot respect a man who has worn high heeled boots. I cannot understand how anyone else can.
rickowensnn4.jpg
Does he look like he gives a **** about your scorn? Not only does he wear heels, he sews a fuckin picture of himself wearing heels in to a lot of his clothing. I double dare you to have that kind of swagger.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Is that true?

I liked that line myself. Sounds like a nice way to travel.

hence why the Barbour Intl is such a great travel jacket

Pretty good list with a nice dose of personality, much better than Scott Sternberg's style list

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if he gets erections for michele lamy, that is even more impressive than any of his leathers.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
He makes nice jackets but's that's about it for me. The following quote is quite hypocritical considering some of the crazy RO cut and sew knits SoCal's worn recently.
"Hair and shoes say it all. Everything in between is forgivable as long as you keep it simple. Trying to talk with your clothes is passive-aggressive".

drop

Reaction score
Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead.
Great thought.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** accessories, I agree, especially entry level luxury handbags for the poor (nice Prada bag, it goes great with your Bebe t-shirt and old sweatpants you stupid twat) but sunglasses?

I wear sunglasses because I prefer not to have my corneas boil when I drive directly into the sun to and from work.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
if he gets erections for michele lamy, that is even more impressive than any of his leathers.

truth

Much better than scott's garbage list, the part about fussy and then layers is hilariously hypocrytical like rye said. I don't agree with sunglasses they are essential and he isn't that great of a designer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads