• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What brand of luggage are you using?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Have tried one piece of Briggs & Riley and will probably buy more of it.

Specifically I am looking for a rolling laptop bag. I take 4 to 6 trips a month with laptop, sample books and a carry-on garment bag. I want to hang the garment bag over the handle of the roller that has laptop & sample books in it. I'll stick with Briggs unless you guys suggest something better.

For just a laptop bag I am going to check out one made by Rawlings from the same leather they make baseball gloves. Anyone have one? I like the look.

I've always wondered if those rolling laptop bags are bad for the Hard Drives in laptops.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I've always wondered if those rolling laptop bags are bad for the Hard Drives in laptops.

Good question.

The Rawlings laptop bag has a cradle the laptop sits in so it does not touch the bottom of the bag. This may insulate the laptop from some abuse. It may be a feature common/necessary to rolling laptop bags, I don't know.

sixpaq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I'd generally agree, but Briggs & Riley seems to be the exception. Lifetime no hassle warranty. You don't need a proof of purchase (strangely, they accept the fact that you have the bag as proof that you own their bag), no shipping (just drop it anywhere that sells it), and they don't exclude wear and tear or damage done by airline. In fact there are no exclusions. They won't clean your luggage for cosmetic reasons, but they will fix zippers, wheels, worn fabric, for the life of your bag, whoever owns it. The only reason I've ever replaced pieces was to get a lighter bag or one that serves a different need. My rolling duffel is excellent for international travel. Rolling suit bag will be my next purchase. As you can imagine it aint cheap, but it's competitive with companies that do much less (Tumi, Victorinox, etc.)

Has anyone tried taking Briggs and Riley luggage in for repairs in Asia? From their site it looks like B&R only offers repair service out of Hong Kong. In particular, I'm wondering if they actually do the repairs on site in the shop or if the bags are shipped off to the US.

I'm currently using a basic Rimowa 56cm polycarbonate carry-on bag which works great for me. It's very light and I'm able to fit a tri-fold suiter (one suit only, of course) in it along with enough clothes to last 4-5 days. For longer trips I check the Rimowa and carry on a Briggs and Riley compact garment bag (model 375).

entasis

Reaction score
I just picked up a sharp Tumi with ballistic fabric at their outlet store for $275 after excessive discounting. Also a Victronix slim garment bag.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
IMO, the only luggage worth spending money (and attention to detail on) is your carry-on stuff. Other than durability (and weight with current luggage restrictions and fees), anything that's going into cargo gets beat up way too much to "waste" money on.

Agreed. I have a good-old Coach carry-all in brown leather and brass. For check-in, I use Delsey.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Good question. The Rawlings laptop bag has a cradle the laptop sits in so it does not touch the bottom of the bag. This may insulate the laptop from some abuse. It may be a feature common/necessary to rolling laptop bags, I don't know.
If the computer is off, the hard drive's read/write heads will be "parked" aside so they shouldn't accidentally come into contact with the platters where the data is stored. Short of dropping a naked hard drive onto concrete, you will not do damage to it. Furthermore, notebook hard drives tend to be a bit more resilient than desktop hard drives and their enclosures are usually damped. However if you decide it would be fun to juggle a hard drive in the middle of operation, well you're on you're own.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
Rimowa aluminum luggage for check-in, It's a hand down from my mother so the balance is a bit tricky. For carry on I currently use a brown vintage leather doctor's bag.

miamimc

Reaction score
As close to becoming a million miler, let me share my experience. I’ve had good success with Travel Pro and Samsonite in the past. My current carry on bag is a TravelPro and it has about 150 trips. My prior bag was a Samsonite and I got 5 years (~200 trips). It would have lasted a lot longer had I not started flying routes flown by American Airlines with their Fokkers, which I guess honored their name with my bag. TravelPro has different lines, so YMMV. I’ve seen TravelPro, Samsonite, Delsey, and even Tummi at TJMaxx/Marshalls…

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
If the computer is off, the hard drive's read/write heads will be "parked" aside so they shouldn't accidentally come into contact with the platters where the data is stored. Short of dropping a naked hard drive onto concrete, you will not do damage to it. Furthermore, notebook hard drives tend to be a bit more resilient than desktop hard drives and their enclosures are usually damped. However if you decide it would be fun to juggle a hard drive in the middle of operation, well you're on you're own.
yfyf, so the pc should be turned off, not on hibernate?

videocrew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
yfyf, so the pc should be turned off, not on hibernate?
I'm almost 100% sure that hibernate saves everything to disk and parks the heads, and Sleep keeps everything in RAM but still parks the heads. So once the light has actually come on that it is asleep, you should be good to go.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by videocrew
I'm almost 100% sure that hibernate saves everything to disk and parks the heads, and Sleep keeps everything in RAM but still parks the heads. So once the light has actually come on that it is asleep, you should be good to go.
Sounds good.... Thanks.

pilotpen

Reaction score
I've always wanted a Mandarina Duck weekender. I'm currently rolling a Ducati edition Tumi luggage. Fantastic piece of luggage. Super durable and light. The pull-up handle is built like a rock. I'm never worried about it snapping if the luggage twists or tilts when in transit. Highly recommended!

spacepuppy

Reaction score
Tumi. A buddy of mine was a baggage handler and said these were nearly indestructible. So far holding up really well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads