• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What brand of luggage are you using?

mrbowtie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Just curious if you attention to detail carries over to your luggage. I personally use Mandarina Duck luggage which I love. It's very handy, has a lot of neat storage features, and looks quite nice.
 

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
4,136
Reaction score
3
IMO, the only luggage worth spending money (and attention to detail on) is your carry-on stuff. Other than durability (and weight with current luggage restrictions and fees), anything that's going into cargo gets beat up way too much to "waste" money on.

I have a navy Red Oxx Air Boss for my carry-on and I just bought an eBags house brand rolling duffel that I have yet to use but researched a couple months ago as being very sturdy and relatively light.
 

Big A

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
299
A hand-me-down beat up Halliburton with stickers and everything, courtesy of Phat Guido. Best suitcase ever!
 

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
10,448
Reaction score
75
I have a big rolling duffel which is big and light and gets the job done. I don't remember who made it, but it was pretty cheap. I used to have large nice Samsonite suitcases, but living in a NYC apartment, there's really nowhere to store them.

Mostly, I use my Trafalgar norwalk overnight bag:
 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
Originally Posted by mrbowtie
Just curious if you attention to detail carries over to your luggage. I personally use Mandarina Duck luggage which I love. It's very handy, has a lot of neat storage features, and looks quite nice.

This describes about 99.99875% of the suitcases/luggages out there.

It always cracks me up when I see these people in their LV luggage with the plastic protective wraps at the airport. I'm always so tempted to go by and kick them.
 

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
4,553
Reaction score
21
Samsonite soft (fabric) . They're well thought out and durable. Form Follows Function for this one.
 

mrmax

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
393
Reaction score
3
Rimowa Silver Integral. I'm on a plane/train/ferry at least once a week and this is luggage that just looks better as it ages.
 

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
1,079
Reaction score
2
I'd generally agree, but Briggs & Riley seems to be the exception. Lifetime no hassle warranty. You don't need a proof of purchase (strangely, they accept the fact that you have the bag as proof that you own their bag), no shipping (just drop it anywhere that sells it), and they don't exclude wear and tear or damage done by airline. In fact there are no exclusions. They won't clean your luggage for cosmetic reasons, but they will fix zippers, wheels, worn fabric, for the life of your bag, whoever owns it. The only reason I've ever replaced pieces was to get a lighter bag or one that serves a different need. My rolling duffel is excellent for international travel. Rolling suit bag will be my next purchase. As you can imagine it aint cheap, but it's competitive with companies that do much less (Tumi, Victorinox, etc.)

Originally Posted by Jumbie
IMO, the only luggage worth spending money (and attention to detail on) is your carry-on stuff. Other than durability (and weight with current luggage restrictions and fees), anything that's going into cargo gets beat up way too much to "waste" money on.
 

jesask

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
265
Reaction score
19
I have a large Patagonia rolling duffel. The wheels are great and it holds a ton.
 

bjm

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
wife made me buy T. Anthony wheelie like this one. Even though I think its a little gay...I use it for business travel.
 

dclloyd

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
230
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I'd generally agree, but Briggs & Riley seems to be the exception. Lifetime no hassle warranty. You don't need a proof of purchase (strangely, they accept the fact that you have the bag as proof that you own their bag), no shipping (just drop it anywhere that sells it), and they don't exclude wear and tear or damage done by airline. In fact there are no exclusions. They won't clean your luggage for cosmetic reasons, but they will fix zippers, wheels, worn fabric, for the life of your bag, whoever owns it. The only reason I've ever replaced pieces was to get a lighter bag or one that serves a different need. My rolling duffel is excellent for international travel. Rolling suit bag will be my next purchase. As you can imagine it aint cheap, but it's competitive with companies that do much less (Tumi, Victorinox, etc.)

+1 on Briggs & Riley. I had AA once throw it through a grinder (or so it seemed) and I got it back fully repaired by Briggs within about a week - no questions asked. Nicely designed too (I like the external handles) and very functional.
 

towen

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Globe-trotter is great, although it's impossible to find in the U.S. I did pick up a few pieces of their Jcrew collaboration this year though.

For carryon, I use Ghurka.
 

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
1,075
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mrbowtie
Just curious if you attention to detail carries over to your luggage. I personally use Mandarina Duck luggage which I love. It's very handy, has a lot of neat storage features, and looks quite nice.

My Mandarina Duck bag broke and I have yet to send it for repairs yet
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 134 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 250 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 120 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.8%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,731
Messages
9,223,360
Members
193,608
Latest member
MattNJ
Top