1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What brand of luggage are you using?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrbowtie, Dec 19, 2008.

1. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Louis Vuitton and Jil Sander

2. spertia

spertia Senior member

Louis Vuitton and Jil Sander

I've never seen JS luggage; what is it like?

3. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

IMO, the only luggage worth spending money (and attention to detail on) is your carry-on stuff. Other than durability (and weight with current luggage restrictions and fees), anything that's going into cargo gets beat up way too much to "waste" money on.

I have a navy Red Oxx Air Boss for my carry-on and I just bought an eBags house brand rolling duffel that I have yet to use but researched a couple months ago as being very sturdy and relatively light.

It depends how much you travel. I have had one Tumi suitcase for 7 years. I paid about $600 for it. My wife has gone through at least 3 Samsonite suitcases in the same time period (at least $200 per suitcase). She is now on her fourth suitcase, while mine has held up. My suitcase has been on at least 30-40 international trips in that timeframe, including quite a few third world countries where much damage is done. It is still in great condition. I'm sold for life.

Speaking of Briggs and Riley, I would agree that they are also solid bags and are good value. Probably the most bang for your buck. I find that they are slightly heavier and not as well made as Tumi, but they hold up very well. I have a carry on that I've had for about 9 years. It has also been checked in on at least 50-75 trips and it's just starting to lose some screws etc.

I know Tumi is available on Ebay for good prices, plus Tumi has outlets scattered throughout the country where good and sometimes great deals can be found.

4. izlat

izlat Senior member

Samsonite - has held up well so far, great value for $ since I got my pieces on sale from outlets.
    Am considering something with more pedigree when I have the replace but we'll see

Cheers

5. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

6. mrbowtie

mrbowtie Well-Known Member

My Mandarina Duck bag broke and I have yet to send it for repairs yet

You know, they will fix it for free if you call them.

7. mrbowtie

mrbowtie Well-Known Member

- Nothing like well used luggage!
    - Rimowa for now & this is my standard rig when I travel - only difference is I also have a larger case for my suits (in the black poly-carb stuff)
    - I rotate between the Prada soft case & a Filson zipped tote for carry on
    FWIW I'm on a international flight every 2-3 weeks through out Asia Pacific so I need to make sure WAYW fits are fresh..
    [​IMG]

I think your setup is going to be my next. Though I usually try to only bring a carryon. I'm also hoping to get a filson duffle soon.

8. DrPat

DrPat Senior member

Just bought a Briggs and Riley today to replace my shredded Samsonite bag. The lifetime guarantee against all damage is what convinced me.

9. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Briggs & Riley, again on recommendation from the fora. I'm very happy with the rollaway so far, and hope not to have to use the warranty, but it's great knowing the protection is there.

10. stamp0102

stamp0102 Senior member

I currently use a filson 256 bag for my laptop, just ordered the small duffle for my carry-on, and use a big wheeled duffel from high-sierra to check.

11. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

I have a Tusting Clipper bag for hand luggage and a vintage Globetrotter for carry-on. Also, I have medium Tusting Explorer in canvas for checked baggage.

12. Julien Trossat

Julien Trossat New Member

My own !!!

from the wardrobe trunk to the 24h bag....

We just created our brand after years passed by the french luxury luggages maker, our company's named T.T.Trunks

100% handmade in france

We study every "made to order" project from the wallet to the personal Valet Trunk

tttrunks.com

13. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Tumi

+1

might go globetrotter soon..

14. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

The free sh!t Macy's gave away with a qualifying perfume purchase because they couldn't sell the crap!

15. jtoddaz

jtoddaz Senior member

My checked bag is Andiamo. Very solid. I think the airlines do much more damage to your bag than you would with your carry-on.

16. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you have a G5 then by all means spend some $ on a bag. Otherwise your an idiot poseur.

17. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Senior member

check in is a red Delsey

carry on is a prada viaggio duffle

18. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

check in is a red Delsey

carry on is a prada viaggio duffle

Nice tag name. laf.

19. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

20. montyharding

montyharding Senior member

All purpose travel bag is from Swaine Adeney. I also use the accomplished professional movie assassin / photographer / power wanker lawyer / total douchebag's choice of hard luggage. Searching for new laptop/day bag at this time.