• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need running shoe information

Style guy

Reaction score
I need to buy some running shoes for the spring/summer. they need to be lightweight and durable. I have looked at New Balance or Asics. Which of the two make the better running shoes.

I do a lot of walking daily and I need something comfortable but I don't want to spend $ 200.00 either.

Can anyone make a good recomendation?

mikej77

Reaction score
Go to a running store and have them test you to see if you overpronate, underpronate or are a neutral runner. It really does make a difference in the shoes you buy. They should also be able to show you some nice pairs under $100.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ makes a huge difference. After the diagnosis I ended up with Asics. Amazing how comfortable they are by a long shot.

aavlee

Reaction score
Def recommend a pair of asics for you. Can't really go wrong with anything from their lineup. Also, avoid stores like Footlocker or Sportchek if you can. Go to specialized running store like The Running Room. They associates there will fit you properly.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
New Balance fit me best, and that is definitely the most important thing. I have spent between $50 and $120, and would definitely +1 the recommendation of going to a dedicated running store and getting fitted by an expert. Buy what fits, not what looks best.

That being said, if you get to the running store and the SA is a bored college cross-country runner doing homework, ask for a manager or come back a different day. You definitely want to talk to someone who has fitted a lot of feet.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
Go to a running store and have them test you to see if you overpronate, underpronate or are a neutral runner. It really does make a difference in the shoes you buy. They should also be able to show you some nice pairs under $100.

+1 Any good running store will have many brands of shoes. Like above, they'll figure out if you overpronate, underpronate or are a neutral runner and then they'll bring out different shoes (last time I went to my local store they had me try on 10 different pairs) and have you jog in the shoe to see which one you like the best. Keep in mind you won't get this kind of service at Foot Locker or Dick's Sporting Goods; you'll have to find more of a neighborhood running store.

PolePosition

Reaction score
People need to get away from "what brand of shoe to get".... there are many runners that use shoes from every major competitor in the running shoe market. Like others have said goto a real running shoe store and have them check out your feet. This is the biggest factor in determining which TYPE and MODEL shoe to get. Stability vs cushion vs motion control. If you do not have a good running shoe store in your area, check out websites like Runner's World and other similar sites that have different tools to determine what type of foot you have, and therefore what type of shoe you need.

Having said all that, for my feet (medium arch, slight underpronation) the Nike Vomero 3's were the best shoe for me. A buddy of mine who I finally convinced to get proper running shoes for our training, has medium arch and moderate overpronation and had a tough time deciding between the Asics GT-2140 and the Nike Structure Triax 12. He ended up getting the Nike's after testing both shoes out. With proper shoes, your lungs, quads, and calves will give out long before your feet, shins, and knees give out.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The higher-end of Nike, ASICS and New Balance are all qualitatively similar in the $80-120 range. Find the one that best fits you.

For me, it's been ASICS for the last few years due to 1) they fit my narrow foot best and 2) the footbed has been holding up the best.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm another proud wearer of Asics.

They rock. Me likes
smile.gif

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
I'm an Adidas fan, but I agree with the above sentiment. Go to a running store and get stride analysis. In the meantime, you can read running shoe reviews on Runner's World website. Just go to shoes and gear.

Mershanks

Reaction score
Definitely do not get caught up with brands. Also, higher price does not equal higher quality.

I'm currently running on Brooks, mainly because I went to a running store in town for some advice. Avoid Footlocker, Champs, Footaction, and go to a real running shop. From my experience, the associate came out with four different models/brands(asics, addidas, brooks and NB) for me to try. They even took me outside to watch my stride and how I strike the ground. They never pressured me into a particular shoe, and in the end I voluntarily choose the Brooks based on fit and comfort.

boo

Reaction score
I like mizuno because they tend to be lighter, have a firmer feel, and fit on the snug side. If you like cushionier shoes, you may not care for them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads