• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need running shoe information

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't run but play tennis, and switched to asics last summer. A co-worker of mine is a runner and she swears by the Asics Kyano, their top of the line shoe. She said if you check Finishline you can find discontinued colors in the model for $70-80.

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aavlee
Def recommend a pair of asics for you. Can't really go wrong with anything from their lineup.

Actually, you can go wrong with Asics. Asics are known for having a wider last. If you are a person who does not need a wider last then don't look at Asics.

I have been happier with Saucony and hit or miss with Nike.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asics Gel-Kayano

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the OP is using them primarily for walking then the higher end shoes (Kayano) are overkill. Depending on the foot type (neutral vs pronator) he can probably get previous year models in the $40-60 range off Eastbay or Road Runner Sports. I've tried all the brands and currently use Adidas, Mizuno and Nike but it always changes when they bring out new models.

beau nash

Reaction score
+1 to the suggestion that the OP go to a running store. My problems with my knees were solved by buying the right shoes. Go to one of those stores that will watch you run on a treadmill, and be sure to take your current shoes. A good salesman can help diagnose your running pattern and make a good suggestion by looking at the wear patterns.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have wider feet and mizuno has been a dream
Originally Posted by boo
I like mizuno because they tend to be lighter, have a firmer feel, and fit on the snug side. If you like cushionier shoes, you may not care for them.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Actually, you can go wrong with Asics. Asics are known for having a wider last. If you are a person who does not need a wider last then don't look at Asics. I have been happier with Saucony and hit or miss with Nike.
This rings a bit strange to me. In the store I went to, 'Running', the Asics (A-6 Gel x-tra) had the smallest last (in my price range). (And it is a store as ideally described: running on treadmill, videoed and then trying them on, outside)

runner-guy

Reaction score
I've worn shoes from many different brands. I used to be strictly Nike but branched out to other brands. I really like Saucony. I'm currently wearing the Adidas Supernova Cushion and they are awesome! If you know what kind of shoe you need, check out www.runningwarehouse.com. Great deals, free shipping, and free return shipping.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Actually, you can go wrong with Asics. Asics are known for having a wider last. If you are a person who does not need a wider last then don't look at Asics.

I have been happier with Saucony and hit or miss with Nike.

Asics run narrow... at least compared to most others I try. I'm B-width and ASICS fit me best.

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Asics run narrow... at least compared to most others I try. I'm B-width and ASICS fit me best.
Then something has changed, because I know that for years Asics were known for having been build on a wider last. Possibly this hindered them, so they corrected it; which could explain their increased popularity.

golfer1

Reaction score
I believe that you can't go wrong with Adidas. Ive worn Nike and New Balance before and was disappointed. All my sport shoes in my closet are Adidas (golf, football, running). I recently bought the Supernovas and love them, they're super light and breathable (i can feel the air coming through when i walk)

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great idea to visit a store for your first few pair of shoes. Don't forget to buy 2 pairs to alternate them. And if you run regularly buy new shoes often. For wide shoes go with the New Balance SL2 last.

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
Go to a running store and have them test you to see if you overpronate, underpronate or are a neutral runner. It really does make a difference in the shoes you buy. They should also be able to show you some nice pairs under $100.

Spot on. I overpronate and because of this I wear motion control running shoes with firm midsoles. I strongly agree that you should find a good running store and try on various pairs from different makers and determine what fits you best after they determine how your feet strike the ground while running. For me, after trying numerous pairs from many different makers have settled on Asics as my choice for a running shoe, but I came to this choice after a lot of trial and error and by finding the right fit for me. I now will buy two or three pairs at a time, just to make sure that I have the exact shoe that I want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads