• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apolis Activism SS09 and FW09

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
really dig all of it, and would feel less awkward dropping the $$$ on the pieces knowing how much these guys do for invisible children et cetera.

robbie

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have a shirt and tie from Apolis that I never really wear. The tie has unfixable creases from a trip in a suitcase and the shirt is just off in some way that irks me.

Nice pants, but I doubt I'd buy them. And shirts with epaulets died two years ago.

All in all, it's all a bit too J.Crew for me but some might like that aspect.

mpcec

Reaction score
Doesn't really look like J. Crew at all, way too many military references. Kind of interested in the pants and the workshirt, collabo bag looks good too.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
Doesn't really look like J. Crew at all, way too many military references. Kind of interested in the pants and the workshirt, collabo bag looks good too.

The shorts, shirts, pants, and ties are J. Crew doppelgangers.

mpcec

Reaction score
The ties, pants and shorts are all so unremarkable that you could liken them to nearly any brand, plain khaki shorts and pants are not specific to J. Crew and neither are solid color ties. Last I checked J.Crew doesn't sell any shirts with epaulets, three quarter plackets or cigarette pockets. On top of that J. Crew doesn't make military jackets/ coats or overshirts.

The comparison is weak at best.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

All in all, it's all a bit too J.Crew for me but some might like that aspect.

i can see the resemblance, but would assume these aren't constructed by slave wage laborers in laos, and the fit is much less egalitarian that JCrew imo.

j.$

Reaction score
Anybody know how their sweaters and jackets fit? I'm already set on getting the bag but the Thomson jacket is looking mighty swell. I seem to be dead center between M and L in all the brands I currently own so purchasing online is a crapshoot for me

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just have work/military-wear fatigue, but I nearly agree with why. The only thing that really differentiates the brand seems to be the political/charitable aspect, which is cool I guess. The SS stuff doesn't look particularly special at all. The F/W stuff looks very nice, just not much different from what EG (work shirts), R+B (dark waxed jackets, military influences), NDG, etc. have been doing the last few years.

I would be happy to own any of it; I just don't get the excitement.

Byrd

Reaction score
Wow, these two lines are really amazing. Kind of bummed that a neighboring store picked up the line before I did.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Maybe I just have work/military-wear fatigue, but I nearly agree with why. The only thing that really differentiates the brand seems to be the political/charitable aspect, which is cool I guess. The SS stuff doesn't look particularly special at all. The F/W stuff looks very nice, just not much different from what EG (work shirts), R+B (dark waxed jackets, military influences), NDG, etc. have been doing the last few years.

I would be happy to own any of it; I just don't get the excitement.

+a lot.

Though you guys have heard/would expect this from me anyway...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Maybe I just have work/military-wear fatigue, but I nearly agree with why. The only thing that really differentiates the brand seems to be the political/charitable aspect, which is cool I guess. The SS stuff doesn't look particularly special at all.

I just don't get the excitement.

yea I'm in this camp. I actually tried on a few shirts from Apolis in early 2008 or late 07 (?) at American Rag, didnt even remember the brand until Whodini had brought my attention back to it. From what I recall, the fit wasnt much different from the typical OTR fit that most shirts have (would need to be tailored) and I'm kinda tired of all the neo-military looks that so many brands seem to have now. But if that's what you're into then I guess Apolis just presents another option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads