• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How 'bout dem Oilers?! Haha, what a way to kick off the return from all-star break.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I love when the Oilers get beaten bloody like this. Sometimes I derive more pleasure from an Oilers loss then I do from a Flames win. This is one of those times.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey hey! Ho ho! Craig the Mac has got to go!

Edmonton is the only city in hockey that doesn't recognize why their team can't win.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I'm glad I didn't go to the game tonight!

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Hey hey! Ho ho! Craig the Mac has got to go!

Edmonton is the only city in hockey that doesn't recognize why their team can't win.

Many people here feel the same way.

I guess the crowd chanted in some fashion, rooting for the Sabres to get to ten.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's anywhere in Edmonton you can get a spit-shine on your shoes? Do any shoe repair places offer such a service? I'm attending a big ball next saturday (PM me if you know which one I'm talking about) and I would love to have my shoes with a shine like this
m395755460mm2.jpg
I tried to do it myself, but I just made my shoes wet and dull.
frown.gif

PhilB

Reaction score
I dont know about a place to get them done, but if you want I can give you some tips to a flawless military quality spit shine.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fidel, you mentioned that John the Tailor does good work.

What does he charge for basic alterations, e.g. hemming pants, darting shirts, waist suppression on jackets, etc.?

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Another Edmontonian here. Thankfully not a Calgarian, haha. Just kidding, though I`m not a big fan of the Flames
frown.gif

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fidel, I have a ball coming up too, but not on the same night as yours. I do not know where in town you live, but if in the west end, there is a old timer in Callingwood that does repairs and such. Seems okay. I have got him to do a couple of small jobs, but no shining. It may be worth taking a look.

The_Rover

Reaction score
I'm new to SF, but I'm from Calgary as well. All I have to say about Edmonton (the city of memories) is laid out beautifully in this excellent song by our local sports radio station.

Makes you wonder how anyone in that organization have jobs anymore.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Fidel, you mentioned that John the Tailor does good work.

What does he charge for basic alterations, e.g. hemming pants, darting shirts, waist suppression on jackets, etc.?

Since the boom in Alberta, I honestly don't know what's a fair price for a tailor anymore. I've found that you either pay a bit of a premium and go to a guy like John, or you roll the dice with someone who might drop the ball and make a mess of things. I think hemming is around $10 and darting around $20, but don't quote me on that.

Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Fidel, I have a ball coming up too, but not on the same night as yours. I do not know where in town you live, but if in the west end, there is a old timer in Callingwood that does repairs and such. Seems okay. I have got him to do a couple of small jobs, but no shining. It may be worth taking a look.

Cool. I used to live near callingwood. Name of the place?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a clue what it is called. It is in the Callingwood shopping centre, in the breezeway.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Since the boom in Alberta, I honestly don't know what's a fair price for a tailor anymore. I've found that you either pay a bit of a premium and go to a guy like John, or you roll the dice with someone who might drop the ball and make a mess of things. I think hemming is around $10 and darting around $20, but don't quote me on that.
No problem. I brought him a Hudson Room shirt to dart today, just to test his skills on something cheap. He seemed, in the words of the last Bond movie, 'horribly efficient.' I'll report back with prices on Thursday (I didn't bother to ask when I went in). If they're extravagant, I'll go elsewhere, but if they're reasonable -- and $20 for darting seems to be the average based on a few inquiries I've made -- I'll stick with him. I have a bunch of B&S loot on its way that needs to be altered and hemmed!

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Rover
I'm new to SF, but I'm from Calgary as well. All I have to say about Edmonton (the city of memories) is laid out beautifully in this excellent song by our local sports radio station.

Makes you wonder how anyone in that organization have jobs anymore.

Did you register just to post that stupid song? Surely Calgarians aren't that insecure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads