1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any other Edmontonians here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Nope. Is 2+2 a web board or something?

Poker forum.

2. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Just thought I would throw it out there. O'Connors in Calgary is having a fairly decent sale on shoes. a lot of Hugo Boss and AE for around $150-$200. I picked up a really nice pair of Morelli boots for $140. Great service as well.

3. unjung

unjung Senior member

Is this a new sale or the same one that was going on at the beginning of the month? I dropped in and was disappointed...

4. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

I'm not sure. I popped in yesterday after work (I havent been in O'Connors for about a year prior to this stop). That had three tables overflowing with shoes on sale. Basically, they were all marked either $149 or $199. I perused for a bit and saw several nice pairs of Hugo Boss, AE, some decent boots. It may be the same sale? Maybe they added more pairs of shoes to it? I am not sure.

5. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Interestingly, trojanman74 sells AEs from the same place here. I am not sure how much he charges, but has a thread where you can be put on his radar as somebody wanting shoes.

6. sonick

sonick Senior member

How 'bout dem Oilers?! Haha, what a way to kick off the return from all-star break.

7. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Senior member

I love when the Oilers get beaten bloody like this. Sometimes I derive more pleasure from an Oilers loss then I do from a Flames win. This is one of those times.

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

Hey hey! Ho ho! Craig the Mac has got to go!

Edmonton is the only city in hockey that doesn't recognize why their team can't win.

9. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Haha I'm glad I didn't go to the game tonight!

10. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Hey hey! Ho ho! Craig the Mac has got to go!

Edmonton is the only city in hockey that doesn't recognize why their team can't win.

Many people here feel the same way.

I guess the crowd chanted in some fashion, rooting for the Sabres to get to ten.

11. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's anywhere in Edmonton you can get a spit-shine on your shoes? Do any shoe repair places offer such a service? I'm attending a big ball next saturday (PM me if you know which one I'm talking about) and I would love to have my shoes with a shine like this [​IMG] I tried to do it myself, but I just made my shoes wet and dull. [​IMG]

12. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

I dont know about a place to get them done, but if you want I can give you some tips to a flawless military quality spit shine.

13. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Fidel, you mentioned that John the Tailor does good work.

What does he charge for basic alterations, e.g. hemming pants, darting shirts, waist suppression on jackets, etc.?

14. dyzfunctioned

dyzfunctioned Senior member

Another Edmontonian here. Thankfully not a Calgarian, haha. Just kidding, though I`m not a big fan of the Flames [​IMG]

15. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Fidel, I have a ball coming up too, but not on the same night as yours. I do not know where in town you live, but if in the west end, there is a old timer in Callingwood that does repairs and such. Seems okay. I have got him to do a couple of small jobs, but no shining. It may be worth taking a look.

16. The_Rover

The_Rover Member

I'm new to SF, but I'm from Calgary as well. All I have to say about Edmonton (the city of memories) is laid out beautifully in this excellent song by our local sports radio station.

Makes you wonder how anyone in that organization have jobs anymore.

17. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Fidel, you mentioned that John the Tailor does good work.

What does he charge for basic alterations, e.g. hemming pants, darting shirts, waist suppression on jackets, etc.?

Since the boom in Alberta, I honestly don't know what's a fair price for a tailor anymore. I've found that you either pay a bit of a premium and go to a guy like John, or you roll the dice with someone who might drop the ball and make a mess of things. I think hemming is around $10 and darting around $20, but don't quote me on that.

Fidel, I have a ball coming up too, but not on the same night as yours. I do not know where in town you live, but if in the west end, there is a old timer in Callingwood that does repairs and such. Seems okay. I have got him to do a couple of small jobs, but no shining. It may be worth taking a look.

Cool. I used to live near callingwood. Name of the place?

18. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Not a clue what it is called. It is in the Callingwood shopping centre, in the breezeway.

19. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Since the boom in Alberta, I honestly don't know what's a fair price for a tailor anymore. I've found that you either pay a bit of a premium and go to a guy like John, or you roll the dice with someone who might drop the ball and make a mess of things. I think hemming is around $10 and darting around $20, but don't quote me on that.
    No problem. I brought him a Hudson Room shirt to dart today, just to test his skills on something cheap. He seemed, in the words of the last Bond movie, 'horribly efficient.' I'll report back with prices on Thursday (I didn't bother to ask when I went in). If they're extravagant, I'll go elsewhere, but if they're reasonable -- and $20 for darting seems to be the average based on a few inquiries I've made -- I'll stick with him. I have a bunch of B&S loot on its way that needs to be altered and hemmed!

20. SeriousBusiness

SeriousBusiness Well-Known Member

I'm new to SF, but I'm from Calgary as well. All I have to say about Edmonton (the city of memories) is laid out beautifully in this excellent song by our local sports radio station.

Makes you wonder how anyone in that organization have jobs anymore.

Did you register just to post that stupid song? Surely Calgarians aren't that insecure.