• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other people's palate - A Disappointment Thread

HitMan009

Reaction score
Does anyone get annoyed then other people enjoy blatently bad food? It never seems to amaze me how someone can enjoy something so bad. I just went to a superbowl party where the wings where deep fried so much they were dark brown but with some still undercooked and everyone raving how delicious they were. The meat had no favor but it was moist from the grease. The crust was some cornmeal breading that was thick and crunchy like rock. The mac and cheese was crunchy with curdled cheese. Ugg yet everyone loved it.

In years past, I made super crunchy, glass shattering thin crust wings made with mostly cornstarch deep fried to a nice light golden color, dressed lightly in a buffalo sauce gastrique. Unbelievable good. Even I was surprised how good it was.

Does anyone have experiences like this where everyone loved food that you knew to be just plain bad?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buffalo sauce gastrique
laugh.gif

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
buffalo sauce gastrique
laugh.gif

Don't knock it till you tried it. I was suprised myself.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Don't knock it till you tried it. I was suprised myself.

I'm sure it's great. Haute bar food for the connoisseurs
teacha.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of the salmon pot pie I saw on a now-closed pretentious restaurant's menu.

HitMan009

Reaction score
A gastrique is just a caramel dissolved with vinegar or some sort of acid. It accentuates anything you put after it. Hardly haute by any standards.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
A gastrique is just a caramel dissolved with vinegar or some sort of acid. It accentuates anything you put after it. Hardly haute by any standards.

I know. But gastriques are generally fruit based, and as simple as it sounds, getting the proportions and reduction level right requires skills. Adapting gastrique technique to a buffalo sauce is (or maybe just sounds like) haute bar food.

That said, it's probably great. Now, what about a mille-feuille of nachos and guacamole gremolata?
wink.gif

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
In law school, the girl I dated would only eat at Arby's and Chili's. Getting her to eat anywhere else was like pulling teeth. It was pretty irritating.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I know. But gastriques are generally fruit based, and as simple as it sounds, getting the proportions and reduction level right requires skills. Adapting gastrique technique to a buffalo sauce is (or maybe just sounds like) haute bar food. That said, it's probably great. Now, what about a mille-feuille of nachos and guacamole gremolata?
wink.gif

When I made my first gastrique, I didn't even know that it was called that. A really good chinese restaurant made this honey-glazed chicken. The chicken was lightly breaded. It had this amazing aroma when it hit your tongue. I had to find out how it was made. A friend later told me that they would caramelize honey and sugar with a bit of water and touch of oil. Then they would throw in some white vinegar and finish it off with some orange juice and a touch of soy. Ever since I learned that, I used that basic concept with any dressing I used for fried chicken wings. Whether it be buffalo wings, bbq wings, soy-lime glazed wings, teriyaki, etc. It just adds that special something that is very difficult to put your finger on.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You all know my opinion on wimminz that don't like mushrooms!

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
If you want to be disappointed by people's palates, read Yelp reviews

I saw a Yelp review where some idiot said that Spiaggia should stop saying that it's an Italian restaurant since it serves so much fish.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i had a very varied group over for super bowl and they all said my wings were the best they'd ever had.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i had a very varied group over for super bowl and they all said my wings were the best they'd ever had.

Were they so deep fried that they were dark brown but with some still undercooked?

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I saw a Yelp review where some idiot said that Spiaggia should stop saying that it's an Italian restaurant since it serves so much fish.

HAHAHAHA, that's a laugh.....I guess some just don't know good food even if it punched them in the face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads