• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other people's palate - A Disappointment Thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Wings may be the most annoying food ever. I love how people say "great wings", as if they are a delicacy that must be prepared by a true expert. I would rarely eat them if they were free. They are messy, covered in fat, and usually prepared in kitchens that would be lucky to pass a health inspection.

All you can eat wing nights make even less sense. Perhaps they are under the assumption that the notoriously high price of chicken wings has prevented the average customer from eating their fill.

Have you tried them with a buffalo-yuzu gastrique though?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was hoping this thread would be a Vox v. gdl flame war about Le Bernadin.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I was hoping this thread would be a Vox v. gdl flame war about Le Bernadin.

Are you also copying his poor spelling? The place is called Le Bernardin
smile.gif

In this environment, I'm not going back to Le Bernardin for a while (unless they're hiring... are they?)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Are you also copying his poor spelling? The place is called Le Bernardin
smile.gif

In this environment, I'm not going back to Le Bernardin for a while (unless they're hiring... are they?)

Hmmm. I will check the FCI job listing board this Sat.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
What bothers me more are the people that are scared of everything.

I have a friend that only eats chicken. Ask her about any other meat, and she says it is disgusting. Then ask her if she has actually tried it. . . "well, uh, no".

One night when we were all drunk, we got her a gyro and told her it was chicken. She ate it and loved it, but the next day denied that she ate lamb and still claims lamb is disgusting.

I once worked with someone who could not eat chicken if it was on the bone. Her favorite chicken dish was Chicken McNuggets. She had been in the military and stationed in Korea 3 years and never ate off-base once.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Have you tried them with a buffalo-yuzu gastrique though?

Some people just can't appreciate the simplicity of buffalo wings. Taking it up notch is a good thing but not necessary. It's great that you can appecriate the pedestrian value of certain grub.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Snails and brains are one thing but enjoying overcooked and burnt food is another. It never amazes me what people think is good and what is not good. A good example that really annoys me is when I go to most steakhouses. Even when I order a steak medium rare, there is still charring. I just paid almost $100 for a dinner of carbonized meat. Ugg.... yet everyone thinks it's the best **** they ever tasted. Heck I can make a rib-eye from the supermarket taste better. There was a method documented on eGullet on how to cook steak and that is the way I do it.

Another is when people tell me to drink Yellowtail....

Here's a secret;

You're a moron if you go to steakhouses with any frequency. They are almost always overpriced, and you can buy better beef than what they serve and usually do it better yourself. To me steak is boring and its popularity in the states is extremely telling, but I've never understood the allure of paying $100 a head at a steak house for obesity sized portions of mediocre, often bland food.

I agree, charing can be totally disgusting. If it isn't done with sugar, it is bitter and just gross.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people just can't appreciate the simplicity of buffalo wings. Taking it up notch is a good thing but not necessary. It's great that you can appecriate the pedestrian value of certain grub.

I stopped liking wings a while ago. Very few wings are any good, and I have found that I just prefer to buy good quality chicken thighs and marinate them BBQ them. A nice sweet and hot BBQ sauce (you make yourself) on the barbeque makes some really flavorful meet that everyone loves. Whenever I've had to make things for people who refuse to eat anything they don't instantly recognize, this is what I do. The bones make the experience a little barberic and quite messy. I always have the eating of wings down to a fairly specific technique. When I was in college and ate a lot of them, we actually developed an order to what parts I eat first, and on the rare occasion that I have them now, I still do.

lhooq

Reaction score
There was a method documented on eGullet on how to cook steak and that is the way I do it.

Any chance you could post a link? Thanks!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Here's a secret;

You're a moron if you go to steakhouses with any frequency. They are almost always overpriced, and you can buy better beef than what they serve and usually do it better yourself. To me steak is boring and its popularity in the states is extremely telling, but I've never understood the allure of paying $100 a head at a steak house for obesity sized portions of mediocre, often bland food.

I agree, charing can be totally disgusting. If it isn't done with sugar, it is bitter and just gross.

+1

In Montreal, everyone is always like "OMG Queue de Cheval," as if it were the height of Montreal dining experiences. To me, the people that like these places are the same types that buy gaudy, over-sized wristwatches, and expensive bottles of wine because they're expensive bottles of wine.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plz explain this sugar thing

K

HitMan009

Reaction score
Here's a secret;

When you treat a friend, the default choice to most people would be a steakhouse. That's what most would consider luxury. I personally disdain wasting $100 on a piece a meat that was probably cooked by someone with less skill in the kitchen then a school cafeteria worker. They cook the meat on a grill or a salamander(which can reach degrees of over 1000 degrees) and char everything. And the meat inside has absolutely no beef flavor. A few places I went even had gristle and sinu in the meat. Unbelievable!!!!!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Does anyone get annoyed then other people enjoy blatently bad food? It never seems to amaze me how someone can enjoy something so bad. I just went to a superbowl party where the wings where deep fried so much they were dark brown but with some still undercooked and everyone raving how delicious they were. The meat had no favor but it was moist from the grease. The crust was some cornmeal breading that was thick and crunchy like rock. The mac and cheese was crunchy with curdled cheese. Ugg yet everyone loved it.

In years past, I made super crunchy, glass shattering thin crust wings made with mostly cornstarch deep fried to a nice light golden color, dressed lightly in a buffalo sauce gastrique. Unbelievable good. Even I was surprised how good it was.

Does anyone have experiences like this where everyone loved food that you knew to be just plain bad?

I live in Korea. I can relate. A lot.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
In law school, the girl I dated would only eat at Arby's and Chili's. Getting her to eat anywhere else was like pulling teeth. It was pretty irritating.

That sounds horrible. Great food is look good sex, a relationship without it is doomed. I hope you kicked her to the curb for a chef or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads