• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian universities social life

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
If I was to go elsewhere I'd probably pick queens over any uni in ON
Queens is in ON - Kingston. Rather depressing city. However, again, I would venture to say it's a party school, because kids from TO leave home to attend Queens, UWO, Trent, Brock, etc., and they let loose.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your mistake was not living in res the first year. I was at waterloo my first year and i had a great time, even though waterloo isn't exactly a party school.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Your mistake was not living in res the first year. I was at waterloo my first year and i had a great time, even though waterloo isn't exactly a party school.

I thought if you weren't outgoing by nature then res really wouldn't be that great for you anyway. Following my self concluded logic I thought I'm not paying 10k/year for an easier access to parties. Uvic has A LOT of really wierd kids walking around and something tells me that res is not limited to the 60-70% of people who normal people would even consider interacting with. I mean you can get screwed pretty bad if your roommate is a wow addict and your floor is theater majors.

I might be wrong by I'm still convinced that living pretty close nearby is not that big of a deal and it's up to the person to choose how much he wants to get involved.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought if you weren't outgoing by nature then res really wouldn't be that great for you anyway. Following my self concluded logic I thought I'm not paying 10k/year for an easier access to parties. Uvic has A LOT of really wierd kids walking around and something tells me that res is not limited to the 60-70% of people who normal people would even consider interacting with. I mean you can get screwed pretty bad if your roommate is a wow addict and your floor is theater majors.

I might be wrong by I'm still convinced that living pretty close nearby is not that big of a deal and it's up to the person to choose how much he wants to get involved.

Honestly, that's the totally wrong attitude to have in university. My floor at waterloo had a mix of people from the engineers (whom nobody liked), to football players, to the token black playa and his short white irish equivalent. I made friends with people I probably wouldn't have made friends with otherwise.

The **** that happened on the floor was hilarious and living there is totally different to dropping by for parties. Were there people I didnt like? One nerdy math guy really smelled bad because he never showered, but on the whole it was great. My best friends from university were on my floor and the girl's floor above us, fwiw. Oh, and I'm not outgoing by nature either.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I made friends with people I probably wouldn't have made friends with otherwise.

The **** that happened on the floor was hilarious and living there is totally different to dropping by for parties.

+1. Best parts about living on campus, right there.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. Best parts about living on campus, right there.

Heh that does sound pretty damn fun. Maybe I'll look into living in dorm next year or something. I think going to a uni in my town was a mistake in the first place.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh that does sound pretty damn fun. Maybe I'll look into living in dorm next year or something. I think going to a uni in my town was a mistake in the first place.

living in res is pure entertainment. When i transfered and rented an apartment it wasn't nearly the same. I also noticed a huge difference in high school when i transitioned from being a day student to living in res. Just by being there all the time you tend not to miss out on things and you form closer friendships. I'm not talking about parties, but just random unplanned stuff that is a lot of fun.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Honestly, that's the totally wrong attitude to have in university. My floor at waterloo had a mix of people from the engineers (whom nobody liked), to football players, to the token black playa and his short white irish equivalent. I made friends with people I probably wouldn't have made friends with otherwise.

The **** that happened on the floor was hilarious and living there is totally different to dropping by for parties. Were there people I didnt like? One nerdy math guy really smelled bad because he never showered, but on the whole it was great. My best friends from university were on my floor and the girl's floor above us, fwiw. Oh, and I'm not outgoing by nature either.

+1. I think you're still stuck in the highschool mentality. Living in residence is the best way to network and experience new things. The vast majority of people I have become friends with in rez I would have never spoken to in highschool, and vice versa.

Drop all preconceived notions you may have of people...let loose, have fun!

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm at Queen's right now, and I just finished a barcrawl.

Yeah... I mean, I'm not super social, but I have a good time here. My drinking group dissolved due to unreciprocated feelings so I have to go find myself a new one, but other than that, seriously, it's pretty easy to find parties here. I partied twice a week, every single week, throughout first year. I've been drinking since 230PM today, and am probably going out tomorrow night as well. Kingston is a ****** city, especially for clothes, but Queen's kids certainly party.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
living in res is pure entertainment.

+10,000

What else can you expect when you cram thousands of teenagers with a new found sense of freedom into a building?

Crazy stuff happens all the time, you're missing out big time.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
+10,000 What else can you expect when you cram thousands of teenagers with a new found sense of freedom into a building? Crazy stuff happens all the time, you're missing out big time.
My friend lived in an all girl's residence and she never believed half the stories I told her that happened in my res until she came out with my friends one night. People got ******* branded. Cops were at our residence more than once. Our residence of under 200 people caused over $7000 worth of damage over the course of a semester and a half. One time I was walking to the kitchen on a Wednesday to make myself some soup, and a girl comes running down the hallway "OH MY GOD I PISSED MYSELF." and I looked at her pants and suddenly wished I hadn't.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
One time I was walking to the kitchen on a Wednesday to make myself some soup, and a girl comes running down the hallway "OH MY GOD I PISSED MYSELF." and I looked at her pants and suddenly wished I hadn't.

Ok now you convinced me
laugh.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I think of Canadian Universities, I think of the Saugeen Stripper incident.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barbarawengere