• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyone's 2009 Clothing Plans / 2008 Insights ?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2008 insights:
- if it has shoulder padding, I won't wear it
- I wore odd jackets way more than suits
- finding good shoes that fit well is a real challenge
- OTC socks rule

2009 plans:
- acquire red and fancy plaid trousers
- find or order linen suit
- improve streetwear wardrobe
- buy more OTC socks

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what I want to do. But I def. need more shoes.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
More high quality suits.

Fewer shoes.

Hold out for the 38S instead of the 38R.

Doc -- if you are culling your collection, send me a right-of-first-refusal pm. I reckon we are close in size and I dig your style. (In a completely hetero way).

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2009, in general: continue to refine and edit. Be smart, but allow for inspiration and whimsy.

More specifically:
o Cotton/Linen summer suit, 3r2 or 2b peak lapel; haven't decided on seersucker or not
o Navy suit, 3r2 or 2b notch lapel
o more shirts

Depending on what the end-of-year looks like by summer's end, perhaps a black tie rig: db, shawl collar.

All the above subject to change w/o notice.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2008 - Like many here I discovered Style Forum and revamped my wardrobe. I went with a slimmer profile. I bought several suits that fit my body well - RLBL, BB Fitz. I found a new tailor and had many jackets tailored with more waist suppression, and bought a LOT of slimmer ties. I also shopped the sales with abandon. So, now I have a lot of new things that will last me into 2009 like slim fit khakis and polo shirts. I also upgraded on the shoe front with three new wing tips for work wear. I bought more sweaters in 2008 than I have in the past 5 years combined.

2009 - I still need a few things for summer like a new cotton or linen suit and some linen trousers. I think a couple of cotton sweaters and perhaps a Macintosh will be on the docket as well. Finally - jeans. I need a pair or great jeans. I just do.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2009 plans:

New tuxedo coming in in the next few months
Order pair of bespoke side gusset shoes
Buy a tie clip
Lose 10 pounds

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would like to be double breasted in 09, and a few more tweed sportcoats also.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i would like to be double breasted in 09, and a few more tweed sportcoats also.

If you're truly ambitious: double-breasted tweed sportcoat. You'll crash and burn, or you'll be a forum hero.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If you're truly ambitious: double-breasted tweed sportcoat. You'll crash and burn, or you'll be a forum hero.

290082401_Bovae-L.jpg

- B

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
in 2008:

-realized I really like wearing 3/4 coats-overcoats
-rediscovered the greatness of a plain solid color vneck jumper
-came to the conclusion I like my Doc Marten styled airwair sole shoes/boots more than any other, for sheer comfort as well as the style

in 2009:
-will buy less and wear more. I have enough gear for a couple lifetimes and I dont want to be a "collector" that wears an item a couple times and never again. I said this in 2008 but this year I mean it
-basically I dont need anything so I'm going to resist the urge to buy yet another ____ that I already have multiples of in my closet

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
290082401_Bovae-L.jpg

That tweed's not nearly tweedy enough to test the limits. I'm thinking of a burly man-tweed with a big plaid. The kind you could lose a quarter in.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
No idea, right now I'm in a suit wearing mood so I might buy a couple of relatively classic pieces. I'm even considering getting some v-neck cashmere sweaters in soft colours like yellow and pink but that might be pushing it.

I might also get more pieces from Junya and Comme des Garçons.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
No idea, right now I'm in a suit wearing mood so I might buy a couple of relatively classic pieces. I'm even considering getting some v-neck cashmere sweaters in soft colours like yellow and pink but that might be pushing it.

Wow. Even you aren't immune to iGent tendencies. All hope is lost.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
I rediscovered Styleforums very late in 2008 and realized that I had a great deal to learn!

My rough plan for 2009 - expand the quality of my business & formal wardrobe with a small indulgence (anyone have a nice Brioni in a 38R?) and some bespoke pieces produced under the watchful eye of a friend here in Bangkok. At the same time I have gotten back into the gym and hope to regain some college form and if that goes well I will have to pick up a few more things later in the year .

A pair of Edward Greens or something from JM Weston may also be in the cards. We shall see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads