• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyone's 2009 Clothing Plans / 2008 Insights ?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing I'm most excited about is my first ever bespoke shoe, made by Gaziano & Girling. Will be checking out the progress next month in Tokyo. Other than that on the shoe front, a few more EGs on order as well.

Will be on the lookout for an unlined cotton jacket, a simple black suit, and the usual 20-30 Jantzen shirts per year. I'll also try to keep my watch purchases to one this year. Oh, and I just ordered a replacement pair of jeans from Blue in Green for my old pair.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Good topic! I also plan on buying fewer suits, ties and shoes and focus on other areas instead. From 2008 I learnt that: - I really have too many suits & not enough odd jackets & trousers. I have remedied the latter, more or less, over the past week or so. The jacket issue will require longer term projects. - odd waistcoats/sweatervests/cardigans are really useful items. - I need more patterned pocket squares and that I prefer the larger sized squares.
Co-signed - My mission statement in 2008 was to mature my style. My offduty look has been set in stone for a few years, but I wanted to shed a few of the trashier "club kid" elements and aim to be more elegant and consistent, so t-shirts finally went out, or at least became undershirts, and cravats, bow ties and misused accessories came in - finally lessening my necktie dependence - and the palette is being toned down. I plan to buy less distinctive pieces (difficult as that may be) and closely focus on versatile, less flashy basics to offset my bolder garments - I recently regained the ability to layer well. Must keep it up - I am very well covered for suits, although whether my next employer will be amenable to double breasteds won't be known 'til I get a new job, and then I might have to conform - I've also started paying better attention to my formal and semi-formal footwear and will pursue this neglected issue this year, finances permitting - I discovered that I do look good in hats and will grow my flat cap and brimmed hat collection with consideration - I thrifted my first Purple Label shirt last year and I'm practically hooked. More like this - My autumn/winter dressing is satisfactory. My summer dressing is lousy, or at least less imaginative and well chosen. This shall be remedied. And I'd love a linen suit

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think 2009 will be the year of deconstruction in mens clothing. Given the rigid economic times we are in and the president elects plans for infrastructure reconstruction, I think mens clothing will look to break from the vicious cycle that got us here in the first place yet look to maximize people's economic resources. Fungible will be a buzz word in '09. Sportcoats will be sleeveless and dress pants will be "convertible", a hidden zipper will take them from dress pants to shorts. A typical day at the office will be a shirt and tie under a sleeveless jacket. For the evening out, shirt and tie can be taken off and you just wear the jacket, showing some chest hair. Pants will go from business, to commuting on bike, to pick up basketball game, to dinner out, all by the use of the zipper. Shirts will come with snap-on interchangable collars and cuffs. You only need buy 1-2 shirt "bodies" and buy 5-10 collar cuff combos and you are set for the season at the cost of one shirt. It would not surprise me to see an Eric Glennie type designer at the guest designer program at Brooks Brothers or maybe see J Press launching something similar.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Edmorel your post has inspired me. This year I will invest all my energies into launching a new line of white bodysuits and life-size decals. Simply choose the outfit decal you want and iron it on. For the folically challenged, an open-chest Tom Ford/iammatt decal will aso be available. Black tie? Iron on a tux. Why photoshop your pictures when you can wear your photoshops.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
plan9_criswell.jpg

We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The tie comes with the collar, you can snap it on any shirt body. Or, go shirtless and just wear the collar and tie with a sleeves sportsjacket.

I wonder if the hair is modular, separated into curl, comb-over and crop.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one thing I learned once and for all in 2008 is that ready-to-wear ties simply do not work.

For 2009, I'm currently working on a grey tweed jacket and a pair of flannels. I'll probably get a shetland jacket and a pair dark green cordoroys and some grey whipcords later on this winter. For shirts and ties, I'll buy at least eight shirts from Mytailor and eight ties from Hober over the course of the year. And I'm thinking about a pair of bespoke shoes in the Fall.

I'd really like to sort out my summer wardrobe, but might not get to it this year.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
2008 ended with me opting to have a much more healthier lifestyle. Until I reach my goals clothings will have to take a backseat, well except for the staples and shoes. Big ticket items are also on hold- planned to get a new watch this year, but it can wait. I also hope to get more travelling done this year so if there was any clothing plans for me, it would surely revolve around this. And lastly, I do hope to meet up and share drinks with fellow SF members this year.

Invicta

Reaction score
Lessons learned in 2008(aka: "Common sense is neither"):

-My wrist is too small to wear an IWC Big Pilot
frown.gif

-Cashmere socks are proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper

-Gold cufflinks make me look like a pimp (not in a good way)

-Barbour makes a better trench than Burberry

Goals for 2009:

-Isaia MTM suit, 3 roll 2, strait pockets, ticket pocket, navy chalk stripe

-Expand my footwear horizons into Chealsea boots

-More C&J please!

-A good umbrella

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got more clothes than I can wear, so I'll try to curtail clothes spending. I think it's a good time to buy stocks in 2009. May be I'll buy a non-navy cashmere overcoat and some Vass U & F boots, that's it.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2008 insights:

Ignorance is bliss. I thought I was pretty well dressed in pretty nice clothing until joining SF late last year. Then after a couple of weeks reading and posting here, I basically removed 75% of the items from my closet and revamped my entire wardrobe over about a two month period. Off the top of my head, five new suits, three sports jackets, 8 bespoke shirts, two new pairs of shoes, and countless ties, PS, belts, etc. Insight is, I need to SLOW DOWN and enjoy this transformation. LOL

2009 Plans:

To take some time to enjoy the stuff I just acquired and see what really works, what I could have done better, and what I really need and want to do next. My standards have been raised, and I accept that I will be paying more for my clothing, but acquiring only items of exceptional quality and accepting fewer compromises.

This has been a fun ride, I look forward to what SF may bring to us all in 2009.

Mr T

Reaction score
For 2009 I plan on spending more time contemplating where I am trying to take my look - especially pertaining to casual. I have attained a certain age too old for street wear but too young for "help me cross the street wear."

I will also hopefully be finished with a weight loss project by summer (currently about 50% done). Until then my only plan is to upgrade (and reduce the number of) some small leather goods. Lastly, I hope to make a conscious effort to shop our affiliates when possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads