• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The store's tailor shouldn't have let you take the suit until it has the TF look...is this too much to ask when you drop that kind of $$$?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
The store's tailor shouldn't have let you take the suit until it has the TF look...is this too much to ask when you drop that kind of $$$?

The trouble is it's not clear where the Tom Ford look ends and correct fit begins.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
On the left, I highlighted how messed up the shoulders are. I 'corrected' them on the right--but I have no idea how you'd implement the fix in real life. It's very possible you've reached the limit of RTW--there's only so much they can do to get something to fit you while maintaining the 'look' you wanted to begin with.

I am not a tailor, and I do not play one on TV, but I'm fairly sure the shoulders are just too narrow, especially for the desired Tom Ford silhouette.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trouble is it's not clear where the Tom Ford look ends and correct fit begins.

well forget about that issue. i absolutely see what you are saying.. its almost like my arms extent out after the top of my shoulder.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit in his newly uploaded close-up mirror pics is better. Is that just because we can't see the whole picture, or because of the positioning of his body?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I think the shoulders on the jacket are too narrow for the shoulders/arms of his body, and not the other way around.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
The fit in his newly uploaded close-up mirror pics is better. Is that just because we can't see the whole picture, or because of the positioning of his body?

do you know how i can find the URL with the .jpg of the uploaded pics so I can edit my original post?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
FWIW, I think the shoulders on the jacket are too narrow for the shoulders/arms of his body, and not the other way around.

I agree - there is no way I need the shoulders to be more narrow

SlamMan

Reaction score
For me it's tough to say if it's the pics or the fit. The first few pics are certainly missing the TF look but the later pics seem a bit better. It looks like you're standing with your elbows out a bit which may be throwing it off. Is that your usual posture?

edited

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score

The never ending pursuit of House Style

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot

no, you can see that shoulder 'dimple' a lot more clearly in the mirror picture.

That's what I love about this forum....nothing gets by the experts. Good job guys!
worship.gif

I recant my original 'nitpick' post....once it's pointed out, it becomes very obvious.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, that's my diagnosis, for what it's worth. I'm kinda surprised -- I would have assumed that TF stuff would err the opposite direction -- shoulders too broad -- for the fat-lapeled manly man effect.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I am not a tailor, and I do not play one on TV, but I'm fairly sure the shoulders are just too narrow, especially for the desired Tom Ford silhouette.

I have no idea exactly what is causing the problem. I only know what looks wrong: the points of the shoulder extend beyond the curvature of the OP's upper arms. Narrowing the shoulders might help with that, but the OP will also look like a barrel because his arms will appear to be bulging out at his sides. I'd prefer to keep a more vertical outer line.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is why I feel like I'm never going to have a proper handle on how a suit should look because I'd have thought it was "the other way around".
confused.gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I seriously hate retail establishments...they truly don't give a shite so long as they get their cash

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads