Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AvariceBespoke, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

The store's tailor shouldn't have let you take the suit until it has the TF look...is this too much to ask when you drop that kind of $$$?

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The store's tailor shouldn't have let you take the suit until it has the TF look...is this too much to ask when you drop that kind of $$$?

The trouble is it's not clear where the Tom Ford look ends and correct fit begins.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

On the left, I highlighted how messed up the shoulders are. I 'corrected' them on the right--but I have no idea how you'd implement the fix in real life. It's very possible you've reached the limit of RTW--there's only so much they can do to get something to fit you while maintaining the 'look' you wanted to begin with.

I am not a tailor, and I do not play one on TV, but I'm fairly sure the shoulders are just too narrow, especially for the desired Tom Ford silhouette.

4. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

The trouble is it's not clear where the Tom Ford look ends and correct fit begins.

well forget about that issue. i absolutely see what you are saying.. its almost like my arms extent out after the top of my shoulder.

5. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

The fit in his newly uploaded close-up mirror pics is better. Is that just because we can't see the whole picture, or because of the positioning of his body?

6. AvariceBespoke

The fit in his newly uploaded close-up mirror pics is better. Is that just because we can't see the whole picture, or because of the positioning of his body?

do you know how i can find the URL with the .jpg of the uploaded pics so I can edit my original post?

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

FWIW, I think the shoulders on the jacket are too narrow for the shoulders/arms of his body, and not the other way around.

8. AvariceBespoke

FWIW, I think the shoulders on the jacket are too narrow for the shoulders/arms of his body, and not the other way around.

I agree - there is no way I need the shoulders to be more narrow

9. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

For me it's tough to say if it's the pics or the fit. The first few pics are certainly missing the TF look but the later pics seem a bit better. It looks like you're standing with your elbows out a bit which may be throwing it off. Is that your usual posture?

edited

10. ColeFieldHouse

ColeFieldHouse Senior member

The never ending pursuit of House Style

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

no, you can see that shoulder 'dimple' a lot more clearly in the mirror picture.

That's what I love about this forum....nothing gets by the experts. Good job guys! [​IMG]

I recant my original 'nitpick' post....once it's pointed out, it becomes very obvious.

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, that's my diagnosis, for what it's worth. I'm kinda surprised -- I would have assumed that TF stuff would err the opposite direction -- shoulders too broad -- for the fat-lapeled manly man effect.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I am not a tailor, and I do not play one on TV, but I'm fairly sure the shoulders are just too narrow, especially for the desired Tom Ford silhouette.

I have no idea exactly what is causing the problem. I only know what looks wrong: the points of the shoulder extend beyond the curvature of the OP's upper arms. Narrowing the shoulders might help with that, but the OP will also look like a barrel because his arms will appear to be bulging out at his sides. I'd prefer to keep a more vertical outer line.

14. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

This is why I feel like I'm never going to have a proper handle on how a suit should look because I'd have thought it was "the other way around". [​IMG]

15. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

I seriously hate retail establishments...they truly don't give a shite so long as they get their cash