• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Today was Chanel Cuir de Russie, pure parfum. This has real staying power, unlike the EdT. Clearly the same scent, though

Oh yeah, the Parfum takes no prisoners. My experience with it, though of course it is the same scent as the EdT, was that it was less crisp and powdery. It was considerably deeper and a little more "foul." BUT, it's been several years since I had the parfum and after I used mine up I sufficed with just the EdT, which I sprayed all over myself with reckless abandon.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Oh yeah, the Parfum takes no prisoners. My experience with it, though of course it is the same scent as the EdT, was that it was less crisp and powdery. It was considerably deeper and a little more "foul." BUT, it's been several years since I had the parfum and after I used mine up I sufficed with just the EdT, which I sprayed all over myself with reckless abandon.

I have won the EdT several times. This morning, my daughter, who had never commented on that scent before before, told me he really hated the perfume I was wearing. Your description of the difference between the two is consistent with what I had noticed. To be frank, the aggressiveness in the PP is, to me, the point of CdRussie.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Ahhh... nothing like a little ball powder after the gym. So today's fragrance was 'mint':

Tingle-Image.jpg

For those not familiar:

Description
Ball powder. We're not kidding.

Balla Powder for Men is the ideal anti-chafing and anti-wetness solution for clammy sacks. Guaranteed to prevent the dreaded "bat wing" syndrome, Balla Powder for Men is lightly scented with a masculine fragrance, for anyone else who plans to work in your close quarters. Can be sprinkled into your fudgies for all-day-long comfort and dryness.

A fabulous post-workout treatment, Balla Powder for Men can also be used between your cheeks, as well as on fetid feet and aromatic armpits.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
After Piper Nigrum in the a.m., I went with Caron Pour un Homme for the evening. This one is very much like Caldey Island Lavender

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tom Ford Amber Absolute today. Hot damn this is nice stuff; I've not had a "luxe amber" since finishing my Armani Prive Soie and my Parfum d'empire Ambre Russe... and this one fits the bill nicely. Other than heavy patchouli, nothing makes the winter more tolerable than a good amber scent.
Originally Posted by dopey
To be frank, the aggressiveness in the PP is, to me, the point of CdRussie.
Agreed. There are some scents that are meant to play nice and be "crisp" all around (Chanel no. 5, for example, or Guerlain Mitsouko) The CdR is much more parfum-y in the "old" sense, in which smelling 'pretty' was hardly the point. The foulness gave it character!
wink.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
TBA (once I get my rach2jlc decanters in the mail
smile.gif
).

They were sent Monday (or maybe Tuesday... can't remember) so they should hopefully get there Monday. They went First Class, so usually it takes only 3-4 days, but I've had it take up to 10 during busy times.

Hopefully they'll get there in a day or two. Hope you enjoy them!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yohji Homme for me today. I was a bit disappointed with this when I first found it (cheap, in a discount store in Dallas last Spring) after hearing so much about it. It's really started to grow on me. I like how it strikes a balance between light and dark.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men. Bad keyboard means short posts for now.
frown.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today: Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men. Bad keyboard means short posts for now.
frown.gif

Do they still make Giorgio Beverly Hills, the regular scent? I have really good memories of that smell.

Also, rach, do you remember the cologne called "Canvas"? I remember getting a sample of it when I was a kid in the early to mid 80's and really liked it; but I can not find it anywhere. I can't remember who made it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Hmmmm... don't remember "Canvas." I may do some internet searching and see what I can find!

As for Giorgio... they've recently started producing it again with the original formula. It, along with Red, were discontinued for a while, but Elizabeth Arden (who owns the license to the Giorgio line) realized that they were being idiots for keeping those two gems off the market.

Nevertheless, both of them (especially red) are exquisitely hard to produce... I think I remember reading that Red has 690-some-odd ingredients.

They're both classics and redefine "powerhouse" scents.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Do they still make Giorgio Beverly Hills, the regular scent? I have really good memories of that smell.

Also, rach, do you remember the cologne called "Canvas"? I remember getting a sample of it when I was a kid in the early to mid 80's and really liked it; but I can not find it anywhere. I can't remember who made it.

GBH is bak in prodution and is fabulous. Red is omparatively muted but still a fine sent.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
GBH is bak in prodution and is fabulous. Red is omparatively muted but still a fine sent.

lol8[1].gif
T, is your keyboard whacky or did you lose your index fingers in a freak industrial accident last night?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads