Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Diptyque's L'eau de L'eau. It's a good holiday scent.

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur

again

I am only doing this so I can burn through my sample and return the empty.
    Again. For the same reason and because I like it.

3. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

LV Yerbamate this morning,
    I've read a lot of basenoters say this is more of a summer scent but personally I think its amazing for winter - warming and spicy...
    If anyone hasn't sampled it yet I highly recommend you do!

4. knucks

knucks Senior member

rl polo black

bitches love it.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Chanel Pour Monsieur

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Malle's Angelique Sous la Pluie for an unseasonably warm December day. I could have left the jacket at home.

I just bought this - what a great scent!

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I spent the day in the desert so I wore Tauer's L'ADDM

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

LV Piper Negrum this morning. Initially it's a big pepper blast followed by a camphoraceous hum. Now the cedar and sandlewood are getting into the picture and I'm starting to like it, or at least care enough to have an opinion.

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

LV Piper Negrum this morning. Initially it's a big pepper blast followed by a camphoraceous hum. Now the cedar and sandlewood are getting into the picture and I'm starting to like it, or at least care enough to have an opinion.
    Where's the menthol???? [​IMG] When I use PN, I get pepper, but a big menthol blast, too. Must de Cartier (parfum) for me today.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Where's the menthol???? [​IMG] When I use PN, I get pepper, but a big menthol blast, too.

Must de Cartier (parfum) for me today.

I may have menthol and camphoraceous tied together a little too closely in my tiny little brain. I have sandlewood as camphoraceous and at the moment this is predominantly cedar/sandlewood. Which I like but I would like more if there were...more spices or perhaps some vanilla. I think LDDM >>> Piper Negrum.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Where's the menthol???? [​IMG] When I use PN, I get pepper, but a big menthol blast, too.

Must de Cartier (parfum) for me today.

Okay, I catch some anise and peppermint in this one. Still - a little more candy-store-hollow than I normally go for - not as much warm rich earthiness as I prefer.

BTW - I was curious about this and it may warrant its own thread, but I'll ask here.

Umami is getting some press as the fifth taste - but unlike the four obvious tastes (sour, sweet, bitter,salt) it relates more towards texture and sensory perception. Umami describes more of a richness of texture than an actual describable taste.

I was wearing a scent that evoked a rich custard, and I started to wonder - can scent actually transmit richness? Is there a umami-type scent? Or is this a matter of smelling notes of butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, et al., and concluding through synesthesia that the scent is therefore rich?

12. dopey

Today was Chanel Cuir de Russie, pure parfum. This has real staying power, unlike the EdT. Clearly the same scent, though

13. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Today was Chanel Cuir de Russie, pure parfum. This has real staying power, unlike the EdT. Clearly the same scent, though

Oh yeah, the Parfum takes no prisoners. My experience with it, though of course it is the same scent as the EdT, was that it was less crisp and powdery. It was considerably deeper and a little more "foul." BUT, it's been several years since I had the parfum and after I used mine up I sufficed with just the EdT, which I sprayed all over myself with reckless abandon.

14. dopey

Oh yeah, the Parfum takes no prisoners. My experience with it, though of course it is the same scent as the EdT, was that it was less crisp and powdery. It was considerably deeper and a little more "foul." BUT, it's been several years since I had the parfum and after I used mine up I sufficed with just the EdT, which I sprayed all over myself with reckless abandon.

I have won the EdT several times. This morning, my daughter, who had never commented on that scent before before, told me he really hated the perfume I was wearing. Your description of the difference between the two is consistent with what I had noticed. To be frank, the aggressiveness in the PP is, to me, the point of CdRussie.

15. AintDatRite

AintDatRite Senior member

Ahhh... nothing like a little ball powder after the gym. So today's fragrance was 'mint':

[​IMG]

For those not familiar:

Description
    Ball powder. We're not kidding.

Balla Powder for Men is the ideal anti-chafing and anti-wetness solution for clammy sacks. Guaranteed to prevent the dreaded "bat wing" syndrome, Balla Powder for Men is lightly scented with a masculine fragrance, for anyone else who plans to work in your close quarters. Can be sprinkled into your fudgies for all-day-long comfort and dryness.

A fabulous post-workout treatment, Balla Powder for Men can also be used between your cheeks, as well as on fetid feet and aromatic armpits.