• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
lol8[1].gif
T, is your keyboard whacky or did you lose your index fingers in a freak industrial accident last night?

I spilled offee on my keybo`d= nd now it's hosed.
frown.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
T, is your keyboard whacky or did you lose your index fingers in a freak industrial accident last night?

BTW - I identl2l2y fuond this new keybod shotut whih pnted the entie thed.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sm-truefitt-hill-freshman-cologne.jpg

T&H Freshman

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Hmmmm... don't remember "Canvas." I may do some internet searching and see what I can find!

As for Giorgio... they've recently started producing it again with the original formula. It, along with Red, were discontinued for a while, but Elizabeth Arden (who owns the license to the Giorgio line) realized that they were being idiots for keeping those two gems off the market.

Nevertheless, both of them (especially red) are exquisitely hard to produce... I think I remember reading that Red has 690-some-odd ingredients.

They're both classics and redefine "powerhouse" scents.

Dang . . .

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Dang . . .

Yeah, that's why it's such a neat one... it's almost impossible to figure out anything distinctive, but it gives an overall "mood." Like, you can't say, "aha, now I get the lavender" or "there's the patchouli!" Instead, it's really quite a subtle, distinctive, wonderful "blend."

ANother that is less successful in this "more is better" trend of hundreds of ingredients in V&R Antidote... it has well over 100 things in there and all it comes out as is a "blend" that is sweet but, for me, never really GOES anywhere.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Bond no. 9 ran out. Anybody want to send me some samples?
inlove.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Anybody want to send me some samples?
inlove.gif

No. Which Bond no. 9? They make about 30 different things. Be specific; this thread has standards, you know.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why it's such a neat one... it's almost impossible to figure out anything distinctive, but it gives an overall "mood." Like, you can't say, "aha, now I get the lavender" or "there's the patchouli!" Instead, it's really quite a subtle, distinctive, wonderful "blend."

ANother that is less successful in this "more is better" trend of hundreds of ingredients in V&R Antidote... it has well over 100 things in there and all it comes out as is a "blend" that is sweet but, for me, never really GOES anywhere.

Very interesting. That makes sense that you simply can not pick just one scent out. It's been a long time since I smelled it, but I just remember their being this paradoxical sensation - a freshness along with a depth at the same time.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very interesting. That makes sense that you simply can not pick just one scent out. It's been a long time since I smelled it, but I just remember their being this paradoxical sensation - a freshness along with a depth at the same time.

Yes, Red is a really unique fragrance and something that I think a lot of people could enjoy.

The original Giorgio for men, though, is interesting but much more "in your face." It's also got a lot fewer ingredients and has distinct notes that you can get quite easily... patchouli, honey, some carnation... they all pretty much YELL out their presence (in a good way).

Not so with Red though... it's more subtle...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. Which Bond no. 9? They make about 30 different things. Be specific; this thread has standards, you know.
West Broadway.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Armani Code for me today. Smells good and only cost 35 at Perfumania, can't go wrong with that.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Yes, Red is a really unique fragrance and something that I think a lot of people could enjoy.

The original Giorgio for men, though, is interesting but much more "in your face." It's also got a lot fewer ingredients and has distinct notes that you can get quite easily... patchouli, honey, some carnation... they all pretty much YELL out their presence (in a good way).

Not so with Red though... it's more subtle...

The funny thing about Red - given that today's my first wearing - is that the drydown reminds me of a hefty Platinum Egoiste but the path to get there is completely different. There's a lot going on here, and the notes are discernable only by catching the scent as it unwinds during drydown and noting what's missing.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wore Bandit EdP today. I didn't think I applied it all that heavily, but damn if it's not 10 hours later and still going strong. This one is really brutal, but it's also beautiful and I love it. I think I'd prefer it on my girlfriend.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying some Chanel PM (thanks rach!) right after my pre-bedtime shower and change of clothes. First time I've ever used fragrance. Dabbed some on each wrist, then rubbed some behind ears. I can feel my morale boost already!
smile.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Trying some Chanel PM (thanks rach!) right after my pre-bedtime shower and change of clothes. First time I've ever used fragrance. Dabbed some on each wrist, then rubbed some behind ears. I can feel my morale boost already!
smile.gif

Good! Hope you enjoy them. Today, I'm wearing Helmut Lang eau de parfum. Edit: Was curious to see how the HL would react with something largely oakmoss and a bit of floral, so layered with Givenchy III. Didn't work out to well... they both seem rather flat. OH well, you win some... you lose some.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads