• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy affordable shirting fabric?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After growing tired of RTW, too broke to afford even basic MTM, I'm looking to fill up my wardrobe with the basic staples of well fitting shirts. My mother has experience with this and has agreed to make me some shirts.

Any idea where I can buy shirting fabrics, both locally and online? I don't need great quality, just ok quality. I don't need Zegna fabrics, just something durable that I wouldn't mind getting a drink spilled on and that can withstand being chucked into the laundry + dryer.

I see lot's of eBay stores that sell suiting wools, not so much for shirting fabric. Any ideas where I can look?

Search brought up 2 useful sources; a company called acornfabrics in the UK which is probably too nice for what I am looking for (and I didn't see any online ordering forms) and a FS: thread by chorse which has a limited supply.

I'll need a large variety of patterns, fabrics, etc. I'm not an expert on fabrics, but I am looking mostly at casual type shirts and nothing dressy/glossy. Basic cottons, oxfords, simple blends and maybe linen is what I am aiming for (if that made any sense?)

As for price range, I need it to be as cheap as possible. Since my mom is obviously not charging me for fees to make the shirts, I'd like to keep the price as low as possible. So anything like $20 or less per shirt (whatever amount of fabric it takes) would be great.

Thanks in advance!

tlmusic

Reaction score
Unless you can find an unusually inexpensive option, I would consider Acorn Fabrics for your project. Their prices are reasonable, the selection is broad, and they are convenient.

Email Acorn Fabrics and ask them for the 60" Classic Shirtings Price List. Pictures of swatches are up on their site.

For 60" shirtings you will need about two yards to make a shirt.

They have oxford fabrics that start at about $15 a meter, and that includes shipping. They will cut any amount you like. They do offer quantity discounts, so that may be worth considering.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I just shot off an e-mail, I will see how this goes.

What would you have to comment on the fabrics quality wise?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Alright, I just shot off an e-mail, I will see how this goes. What would you have to comment on the fabrics quality wise?
Acorn makes a very wide range of fabrics. The fabrics I have received from them have all been high quality. I haven't tried any of the extremely high-end 2/170 fabrics yet, but everything else has been fine--in fact better than most stuff I've seen at an average MTM shirt maker's. The thing about Acorn is that they will sell to the public--that makes them a reasonable supplier for what you want to do. On the filmnoirbuff.com site FNB did a long post on Acorn with pictures of his shirts. If anyone else knows of another place that sells shirtings to the public, I would also be most interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads