• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
How are the JCrew cotton/cashmere sweaters? I really like the BR silk cashmere, are they similiar? Would you prefer the merino sweaters over them?

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
^real nice. i copped the shawl merino as well. both real good fabric and a good fit. size down

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WayneGibbous
^real nice. i copped the shawl merino as well. both real good fabric and a good fit. size down

Ok well I usually a medium at BR fits me good. I am 5-8 170, what would you suggest? I plan on wearing a button up shirt underneath most of them.

Man, it has been so long since I've bought anything at JCrew!

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I wore my funnelneck today and one person goes 'oh I love that wings+horns cardigan!' and another asked if it was EG. Both were shocked when I busted out with "J Crew".

Seriously, J.Crew is getting so much better...

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike Lowry
Ok well I usually a medium at BR fits me good. I am 5-8 170, what would you suggest? I plan on wearing a button up shirt underneath most of them.

Man, it has been so long since I've bought anything at JCrew!

I'm about 5'10/160 and I go for the XS in merino sweaters for a good fit. Generally that would be the case for all tops but the thicker knits I can go S. Since you want to wear a button up maybe a S would work but I usually wear something under the XS and it has room. The stores usually don't stock XS so the internetz is the best option for them.

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
Seriously, J.Crew is getting so much better...
yeah it has. i was very surprised by some of their non-basic pieces this season when i was home

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike Lowry
I am trying to make a decision between the peacoat and the university coat, anyone have either? I dont always button up my coat and when a peacoat isnt buttoned I think they look bad.

Any suggestions?

I had the university coat, but I took it back because the fit was awkward and the buttons looked cheap. If it would have had a covered placket I think I would have kept it. I say go for the peacoat.

Now I have a question:

Does anyone know how much warmer the Thinsulate peacoat is? Is it worth the extra $85? I live in Minnesota, so it needs to withstand a severe winter.

Innocent Bystander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
I had the university coat, but I took it back because the fit was awkward and the buttons looked cheap. If it would have had a covered placket I think I would have kept it. I say go for the peacoat.

Now I have a question:

Does anyone know how much warmer the Thinsulate peacoat is? Is it worth the extra $85? I live in Minnesota, so it needs to withstand a severe winter.

They were selling them in Virginia for $200 then a 30% discount. $140 total and they would alter it for free if you signed up for a card.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I just got a card in the mail for 25% off my next instore purchase before Dec 15th. Stacks with other sales.

Innocent Bystander

Reaction score
I saw the picture of you with the funnelneck. How tall are you and what size did you get? I'm about 5'8 and tried on the medium and it was smaller than other medium sweaters/jackets that I tried on there.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I got a size medium and I'm like 6'1. It's a little loose, but I like the look of it as a sweater jacket

cfedun

Reaction score
Think there will be another, better sale after this one ends[sat 29th] to clear the rest? I need to buy a peacoat and some Merino sweaters, but with the fact that everything costs 20% more due to canada-US exchange rate, the current sale is kind of useless.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
There will always be a sale on going, but you won't see these current items crop up on the website again probably.

mikejones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WayneGibbous
I'm about 5'10/160 and I go for the XS in merino sweaters for a good fit. Generally that would be the case for all tops but the thicker knits I can go S. Since you want to wear a button up maybe a S would work but I usually wear something under the XS and it has room. The stores usually don't stock XS so the internetz is the best option for them.

Extra small? WTF?

I am 5-10 1/2 180lbs, and the Large is perfect. In a suit I am a 44 Regular, and only wear Ralph Lauren suits, which like a Barbour Beaufort 44 regular, fit perfectly.

How can someone with your build even get a Small, let alone Extra small on?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I'm 6'1 180 lbs and the small sweaters fit me well in the chest/shoulders/arms but are too short in length

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads