J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by constant struggle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry Senior member

How are the JCrew cotton/cashmere sweaters? I really like the BR silk cashmere, are they similiar? Would you prefer the merino sweaters over them?

2. WayneGibbous

WayneGibbous Senior member

^real nice. i copped the shawl merino as well. both real good fabric and a good fit. size down

3. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry Senior member

^real nice. i copped the shawl merino as well. both real good fabric and a good fit. size down

Ok well I usually a medium at BR fits me good. I am 5-8 170, what would you suggest? I plan on wearing a button up shirt underneath most of them.

Man, it has been so long since I've bought anything at JCrew!

4. djh

djh Senior member

I wore my funnelneck today and one person goes 'oh I love that wings+horns cardigan!' and another asked if it was EG. Both were shocked when I busted out with "J Crew".

Seriously, J.Crew is getting so much better...

5. WayneGibbous

Ok well I usually a medium at BR fits me good. I am 5-8 170, what would you suggest? I plan on wearing a button up shirt underneath most of them.

Man, it has been so long since I've bought anything at JCrew!

I'm about 5'10/160 and I go for the XS in merino sweaters for a good fit. Generally that would be the case for all tops but the thicker knits I can go S. Since you want to wear a button up maybe a S would work but I usually wear something under the XS and it has room. The stores usually don't stock XS so the internetz is the best option for them.

6. WayneGibbous

Seriously, J.Crew is getting so much better...
    yeah it has. i was very surprised by some of their non-basic pieces this season when i was home

7. erbs

erbs Senior member

I am trying to make a decision between the peacoat and the university coat, anyone have either? I dont always button up my coat and when a peacoat isnt buttoned I think they look bad.

Any suggestions?

I had the university coat, but I took it back because the fit was awkward and the buttons looked cheap. If it would have had a covered placket I think I would have kept it. I say go for the peacoat.

Now I have a question:

Does anyone know how much warmer the Thinsulate peacoat is? Is it worth the extra $85? I live in Minnesota, so it needs to withstand a severe winter.

8. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Well-Known Member

I had the university coat, but I took it back because the fit was awkward and the buttons looked cheap. If it would have had a covered placket I think I would have kept it. I say go for the peacoat.

Now I have a question:

Does anyone know how much warmer the Thinsulate peacoat is? Is it worth the extra $85? I live in Minnesota, so it needs to withstand a severe winter.

They were selling them in Virginia for $200 then a 30% discount. $140 total and they would alter it for free if you signed up for a card.

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

I just got a card in the mail for 25% off my next instore purchase before Dec 15th. Stacks with other sales.

10. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Well-Known Member

I saw the picture of you with the funnelneck. How tall are you and what size did you get? I'm about 5'8 and tried on the medium and it was smaller than other medium sweaters/jackets that I tried on there.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

I got a size medium and I'm like 6'1. It's a little loose, but I like the look of it as a sweater jacket

12. cfedun

cfedun Member

Think there will be another, better sale after this one ends[sat 29th] to clear the rest? I need to buy a peacoat and some Merino sweaters, but with the fact that everything costs 20% more due to canada-US exchange rate, the current sale is kind of useless.

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

There will always be a sale on going, but you won't see these current items crop up on the website again probably.

14. mikejones

mikejones Senior member

I'm about 5'10/160 and I go for the XS in merino sweaters for a good fit. Generally that would be the case for all tops but the thicker knits I can go S. Since you want to wear a button up maybe a S would work but I usually wear something under the XS and it has room. The stores usually don't stock XS so the internetz is the best option for them.

Extra small? WTF?

I am 5-10 1/2 180lbs, and the Large is perfect. In a suit I am a 44 Regular, and only wear Ralph Lauren suits, which like a Barbour Beaufort 44 regular, fit perfectly.

How can someone with your build even get a Small, let alone Extra small on?

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

I'm 6'1 180 lbs and the small sweaters fit me well in the chest/shoulders/arms but are too short in length