• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Henley?

854ca

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I spent months banging my head looking for a henley. Most henleys tended towards two extremes:

"¢ A button placket too small and narrow, making the shirt look too "underweary". This is certainly the case of AA.

"¢ A button placket too wide, impractically long, poncey and International Male-ish (many of the higher-end brands including Generra.)

I ended up getting this Topman henley on sale for !4 shipped. It was in sage greeen, which I liked, because to me, henleys only seem right in earth tones for some reason.

Of course, I posted it in a WAYWT and was summarily dissed.

Proportion-wise, the henleys I've liked the best are RRL and Theory. Both, naturally, are too expensive.

J Crew would have been ideal for me in aesthetics and price if they were more like henley t-shirts rather than henley sweaters. Even Eddie Bauer's henley looked like it might have been nice were it not for the logo.

Did it run pretty true to size? Slim fitting? (I am talking about the TOpman one--been thinking about ordering a few)

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 854ca
Did it run pretty true to size? Slim fitting? (I am talking about the TOpman one--been thinking about ordering a few)

I'm generally a medium and after a wash the medium Topman fits me well size-wise, but the cut seems to be a little screwey. The outer seams of the sleeves twist around so they're directly underneath my palms. The entire shirt doesn't seem to "sit" as it should.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a general survey, how do you all wear your henleys?
as the under layer?, if so what do you layer over it... as an over layer?

henleys and i still don't get along much...

i really like my uniqlo henley

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
Just picked up a nice one on sale at the J-Crew Outlet. Cost something like 15-20 dollars, good fit and material. The AA henley is just too long for me (at least the large is) and the medium is holy hell tight in all the wrong places.

batorizer

Reaction score
i'd been searching for a good henley for quite a while. i finally came across an rlpl one that's exactly what i wanted. nice fit that isn't too slim and the mop buttons are a nice touch.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Who makes old fashioned, single-color henleys with no buttons?

I've seen some people wearing them.. did the original henleys have buttons? Thought they didn't... just has that V **** neckline.. which is what I'm looking for

Transcendental

Reaction score
only henley I own is a vintage polo one...thick as hell and well made

I would layer it I guess, except id probably sweat my balls off

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I dont want a thick henley. Maybe I'll just buy the WCAGA and splendid mills henley and cut off some of the buttons, haha.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Always searching for the perfect henley. I got one from Jcrew on slight discount a year or so ago, thing is really crappy, the arms are too big and its too short, flairs out at the waist, ****** material. Nicest one I have at the moment I got from Hickey Style marked down to $70 from a $275 retail (no one buys hickey style at full retail btw), seriously nice loose waffle knit, horn buttons, longer body w/slim fit, gorgeous material, good stuff. Already ordered one of the black with white/placket&elbow henleys from W+H, will put up some insight when it comes in during the next few weeks.
-In general Hickey Style is a great alternative to j.crew and the likes for basic knits and shirts, you just have to wait for the stuff to hit deep discount as the retail prices are absurd.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Yea same, I want a slim-fitting henley that adheres to my silhouette.

btw where'd you order your W+H henley?

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Getting annoyed with the almost turtle-neck like henleys. I'm having trouble finding henleys with loose-fitting / low-hung collars like these (notice the pronounced V shape): http://z.about.com/d/mensfashion/1/0...rtlett_024.jpg
300px-Dark_Tower_The_Gunslinger_Born_3.jpg
Thumbnail_300x300.png
Instead I keep finding gay shirts that are more and more like these (notice the polo collar): http://api.ning.com/files/xH6OpAG0cv...ySweaterLg.jpg

DECEMBER

Reaction score
anyone?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a decent henley from j. crew for $15.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads