• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best way to go about disinfecting previously-owned shoes?

Surfrider

Reaction score
I have a problem. Several, actually:
  1. I'm a grad student, and will be for some time to come. That is to say, my financial situation is abysmal.
  2. What's more, ever since discovering SF a couple years ago, my taste has shifted towards "nicer" (read: more expensive) accouterments, thus squeezing my already anemic budget even tighter.
  3. Worse still, you nefarious bastards with your "shoe Appreciation" thread have sparked in me a lust for fine footwear- footwear that is, quite simply, out of reach. Unless...
  4. ...unless I buy previously-owned articles. But as somebody with mild-to-moderate germaphobic tenancies, the notion of sticking my feet into somebody else's shoes is a little...icky.
If I needed to clean shoes made from fabric, I'd probably just grab a bottle of idophor from my box of brewing supplies, soak 'em, and call it a day. But obviously I can't soak a pair of Allen Edmods Sanfords in an aqueous sanitizing solution... Suggestions? -Surfrider PS: As a student of medicine, yes, I know the chance of me catching something that will make my feet rot off is slim to none, but still; the psychological "eww factor" is there. :p

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jferg4350
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69899885.tip.html
Yeah, I googled a bit before posting. Most of the suggestions revolved around large quantities of isopropyl or somesuch liquid that would screw up good leather.. I dunno, I guess I was looking for something a bit more...global than a dash of anti-fungal power. I guess I'll just suck it up settle for some bowling alley fungicide. I'm probably being a little ridiculous in the first place...
confused.gif

Originally Posted by edmorel
Ease your way into wearing used shoes by starting with other used items, like ties or maybe underwear.
28.gif

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
Yeah, I googled a bit before posting. Most of the suggestions revolved around large quantities of isopropyl or somesuch liquid that would screw up good leather.

I've used isopropyl to clean the inside used leather shoes*, and it didn't screw them up.

[*] I wouldn't normally. Thinking about it disgusts me. But you can't hold out for NOS forever.

TrulySnob

Reaction score
I have bought several ties but 2nd hand shoes among slips is the only thing I wouldn´t buy.

Shoes even after the first use get the way of the foot and it can deform yours. About slips..no comment...

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrulySnob
I have bought several ties but 2nd hand shoes among slips is the only thing I wouldn´t buy. Shoes even after the first use get the way of the foot and it can deform yours. About slips..no comment...
Would you consider a used bag of syntax?​

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
You could dip them in molten lava or simply give a quick spray of Lysol and quit worrying about it. Everybody on here eats at restaurants, puts their hands on public handrails, etc. A pair of lightly used C&Js ain't gonna kill you, and are amongst the least of your health worries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads