• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew prices are laughable

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SenorMatador
Sure all that you say is true. But you must admit that it still puts the product miles ahead of the competition for similar price points.

Your conclusion does not follow from your premise. Simply slapping extra brand names on does not put them ahead of anything. Especially since it is obvious from the quality of the goods that they were basically a way for the mill to push out lots of lower-quality yarn. As I wrote before, J. Crew's "Loro Piana" sweaters don't seem any better than Lands End's cashmere sweaters, and are a cut below Brooks Brothers' Scottish-made sweaters. And not even close to a real Loro Piana sweater.

On sale, J. Crew has some good deals. I have a couple of the Thomas Mason shirts, because they were good beater dress shirts (sometimes you're afraid to break out the Frays or Charvets). But I paid $30 for them, not $120 or whatever list was.

The reason products like Loro Piana may not be the same is because J.Crew acts as both the designer and retailer, whereas Loro Piana sells the raw stuff to designers (or their own) who ship it out and mark it up and then mark it up once again it gets to a department store or boutique.

Actually, the reason that a Loro Piana sweater is so much better (and, admittedly, more than 3x the price) than a J. Crew sweater is that the cashmere used is leagues better. Worth the difference? Personal preference. But objectively, they are not remotely the same thing.

A very good buy for the money you are paying, one must agree with that.

Why must I? They're the best of the American mass market mall stores, but that reminds me of a line about lipstick on a pig...

Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
I'm on the side of all the J. Crew defenders. I used to be a big shopper at BR, but now every season its the same damn striped shirts and dark argyle sweaters. It seems the BR color pallete is far more muted than it used to be and is just boring. Plus, their prices have jumped up, but quality and materials hasn't improved at all.

When I was an undergrad, Banana was my go-to store. However, now the only things they seem to have that appeal to me are their boxers, loafer socks, and OTC socks when they're marked down to $3/pr. I feel that fabric and tailoring quality also went down from a decade ago. Also, sometime mid-decade Banana decontented from shell buttons on their shirts to plastic. I will not buy a shirt with plastic buttons. Even a polo shirt.

Originally Posted by playdohh22
I categorize Burberry in the same list as J.Crew. Over priced, crap. Mackintosh coats> Burberry coats.

Burberry invented the trench coat. I can't speak to the longevity of their new ones as my Burberry dates from the 1950s, but they still look like high quality pieces. Unless most of the stuff in my local Burberry store.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love J Crew. And anybody who can frequent this board with a straight face and then complain about how J Crew is overpriced (beyond some of their special items) is delusional.

mikejones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I love J Crew. And anybody who can frequent this board with a straight face and then complain about how J Crew is overpriced (beyond some of their special items) is delusional.

I guess you missed my first post, where they were selling a leather jacket for $800, which for a mall jacket, is rather comical.

I forgot about the other item mentioned later in the thread, the $800 messenger bag.

If you could look at those with a straight face, then you are either delusional, or totally ignorant about leather goods.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just handled this one yesterday when I was out shopping downtown:

images_onFigure_96_96041_96041_BR6679_m_tif_ae4c0bc46eca18e5.jpg

The fit was very nice, the leather was soft, and the inside was quilted. The only imperfections I saw were a few areas where the stitching was a little uneven on the interior. I would have liked to have seen some thicker leather used, but overall I liked it.

mikejones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin

The fit was very nice, the leather was soft, and the inside was quilted. The only imperfections I saw were a few areas where the stitching was a little uneven on the interior. I would have liked to have seen some thicker leather used, but overall I liked it.

Uh, that was the jacket I was referring to in the original post.

That's why I laughed when I saw it was $800, a price that would get one a custom Aero.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty

**** is overpriced.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin

Why didn't you cop?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Why didn't you cop?
No need for a leather jacket right now, will wait for my next NYC trip for that. I'm getting lots of other overpriced J.Crew stuff though, I think some people here are going to throw a fit if I post pictures of it all.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was this dude genetically engineered by Texas Pacific to be the living manifestation of the Ruggedly Handsome American Man Whose Cozy McMansion Existance Has Not Tethered His Frontier Spirit? He probably wears that jacket while riding the motorcycle he bought with his 8,679,494,343 Marlboro Miles.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
br586599-01vliv01.jpg
Speaking of male models...has anyone else noticed this guy. He seems to be employed by every major mall brand. Banana Republic, J.Crew, and two different department stores are using him for fall ads. There's something about his stare that unnerves me. I'm not certain, but he doesn't appear to have a soul. At any rate, I refuse to by any cardigans or pants he models

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikejones
I guess you missed my first post, where they were selling a leather jacket for $800, which for a mall jacket, is rather comical.

I forgot about the other item mentioned later in the thread, the $800 messenger bag.

If you could look at those with a straight face, then you are either delusional, or totally ignorant about leather goods.

Personally, I'm not buying an $800 jacket from J Crew, and this thread is a good indication of how hard they're going to have to work to shake the perception that they're just a preppier Gap/BR.

However, I don't know how they sourced/manufactured that jacket, and I don't think you do either--maybe it's "worth" closer to $800 than you think. Without swallowing whole their marketing the past few seasons about higher-end fabrics, using original makers, etc., I believe they're trying to make a "better" product than they were a decade ago, and they'll gladly pass along the costs of selling a better product.

I also think you're overstating how great their stuff was in the early 90s, and I'd be curious to see a catalog/price list from those years to see how much the prices for staple pieces (khakis, oxfords) have changed.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Has anyone tried those featherweight flannels?
The fabric is great and fit is the same as their other shirts.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to probably pick one up... i'm going to try out a new tailor this weekend, if it works out well then i'll be buying one of those flannels as I know i can get it tailored

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads