• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

J.Crew prices are laughable

mikejones

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
235
Reaction score
0
I used to buy lots of clothes from them back in the day; for me that was 1988 - 1993 when they were much more sensibly priced. Still have some of their stuff from back then, some of which was superbly made. That being said, looking at some of their items like this leather jacket which is comically priced at almost $800: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6041/96041.jsp and I wonder who on earth is pricing their product? You can get a CUSTOM-MADE leather jacket in front-quarter horsehide from Aero Leather clothing for that much money. Are they out of their minds?
 

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
5,216
Reaction score
398
i bet they sell about 20x as many as aero, too.

i'm planning on ordering an aero this fall. had no idea they existed until a couple weeks ago and happened upon them on accident.

800 bones for a leather jacket is probably pretty reasonable for the many people who don't know about the smaller companies.
 

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
15
I agree, I don't even think it looks that good.
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
156
and I wonder who on earth is pricing their product?
Someone who knows what they're doing? I have no interest in ordering a custom leather jacket, I'd rather just go to a store to try one on and buy it there.
 

mikejones

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
235
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by robin
Someone who knows what they're doing? I have no interest in ordering a custom leather jacket, I'd rather just go to a store to try one on and buy it there.
Hold on. You would rather walk in and buy an incredibly overpriced mall jacket rather than have what is arguably the finest leather jacket manufacturer on earth handmake a jacket for you, in FQHH, no less - made exactly your size and specifications? Wha?
I can understand if you were looking to pick something simple from the Crap for like $150, but for $800? Please tell me you're smarter than that.
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
156
Yep, I'd rather go into a store to buy a leather jacket. I also buy RTW suits and shirts at the same prices that custom tailors charge for their goods - imagine that!
 

garmentmerchant

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
474
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by mikejones
I can understand if you were looking to pick something simple from the Crap for like $150, but for $800?


Ive kind of always thought J crew, Abercrombie, and the likes are far over priced for there goods considering 95% of it is dog shit goods. $800 is an outrage its probably made in pakistan for $50 , but like one poster said they probably do sell 20 times more than aero just because chicken heads will buy it.
 

Souper

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
1
J crew is trying to reposition itself as a luxury for less brand, for a few reasons...
the first is the flagging economy, and the second is to catch the abercrombie crowd as they grow up. Abercrombie and american eagle launched "adult" brands for the same reason, but jcrew has been the most successful so far in its attempt.

I don't see where the jcrew hate comes from, ever since its brand revival under the new ceo it seems like jcrew is heading in a good direction. Pants are decent, I'd cop the mac coat on sale, its one of the best places to get waistcoats and ties for cheap. The fabric is sourced pretty well, then again, even banana republic uses italian corduroy and gap has MoP buttons on some stuff this season, I think.

that said, the jacket is insane, the messenger back is ridiculous, and the brand collabos like the mackintosh coat and vintage rolex's don't really fit in, at least not yet. However, for the quality of the stuff, I'm fine paying 130 for their cardigans and their TM shirts are ok for the price if they fit.
 

London

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
361
In their men's store in Tribeca, they had a trench coat for $1,200. Get the fuck out of here
 

Lel

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
3,389
Reaction score
589
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
Ive kind of always thought J crew, Abercrombie, and the likes are far over priced for there goods considering 95% of it is dog shit goods. $800 is an outrage its probably made in pakistan for $50 , but like one poster said they probably do sell 20 times more than aero just because chicken heads will buy it.

It's also easily accessible. When people think clothes, they think mall. And when people go to the mall they see... mall brands. Thus when people think "Hmm, where could I get a nice leather jacket?" they assume JCrew, mostly because they have little experience with else where. It's a shame, but it's not like you're going to buy it, so just wear your Aero and be happy with it.
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
156
It's my understanding that the Mackintosh jackets have been selling well for them.
 

Sprezzatura2010

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
765
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by London
In their men's store in Tribeca, they had a trench coat for $1,200. Get the fuck out of here

J. Crew for the price of the real thing (Burberry)? Really?
 

garmentmerchant

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
474
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Lel
they assume JCrew, mostly because they have little experience with else where. It's a shame, but it's not like you're going to buy it, so just wear your Aero and be happy with it.

Wouldnt buy an aero either Im a real cheap bastard I wouldnt pay a quarter to see Jesus walk down the street. Your point is on the money though.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

  • Crewneck sweater

  • Turtleneck sweater

  • Long-sleeve polo

  • Vest

  • I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
455,082
Messages
9,858,320
Members
205,620
Latest member
Rumcajs
Top