• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Specific Alteration Question - NYC

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read the definitive NYC tailor thread, but my question was not answered there.

I recently purchased a NWT Signature Line Suit. There are a few things that need changing, the only major alteration, however, is to have the collar lowered. I imagine this requires an expert tailor, but I can't find anyone who has actually had this alteration done successfully in New York.

I imagine that, since this was purchased at an outlet it can't be taken to the Ralph Lauren mansion. Any experience with a tailor who has done this alteration successfully?

Thanks a lot.

JordanB

Reaction score
People here have told me it's ok to take RL outlet purchases to the mansion for alterations. I've never done it, but have used their tailors for new suits and they do a great job. (They're pricey, but very good.)

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if its just a small bubble only under the collar, then its lower the collar.
if its a roll that extends "across" the back also below the collar its different.
then the back must be shortened from the top, and thats for a tailor.
just dont go to a cleaner unless he is really a tailor.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
if its just a small bubble only under the collar, then its lower the collar.
if its a roll that extends "across" the back also below the collar its different.
then the back must be shortened from the top, and thats for a tailor.
just dont go to a cleaner unless he is really a tailor.

It is only a collar issue. I wouldn't have purchased it if the whole back needed shortening.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
you really shouldn't buy a suit that needs anything of that nature done to the collar, just accept that it does not fit you and try and find something else.

That is just not good advice. If a suit can be fixed for 200 bucks and costs 25% or retail, it is a serious savings and you end up with a well-fitting suit for significantly below retail price. Your advice is only good if the alterations are so major as to be either cost prohibitive or likely to reult in shoddy work and a poor finished product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads