• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes for the Short Guy - Stores, Brands/Lines, Websites

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqreader239
I'm still looking for a pair of black laceups and will give me some boost and look elegant when paired with a suit or a pair of jeans. Any suggestions are welcome.

Aldo has some good shoes that seem to add an inch or two to your height.

If you want something more, then you could check out one of the many elevator shoe brands out there.

Some of them make rather good dress shoes, even. Hell, even some of the boots look rather dressy.

theorist

Reaction score
i'm 5'6" and skinny (126lbs). i buy most of my slim fitted shirts from EXPRESS SLIM FITTED collection but it's so sparse there that i need to find more places as well. i found a few from HM that are okay but i'd rather stay away from there. any more suggestions for shirts like EXPRESS SLIM FITTED small?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a shorter guy, but my understanding that forum member FIHTies stocks a complete selection for smaller guys. (I've bought some ties from him and they're top notch)
thumbs-up.gif

infiniti029

Reaction score
I'm 5'7", medium build. Just to add to the list...

- Charles Tyrwhitt slim fits - A better fit than most, shoulders a bit wide for me, had the sleeves altered to 32".
- Jcrew Slim Fits - From what I heard, it can be a good fit for shorter/slimmer guys, will need to go to the store to try them out
- Lands End slim/tailored fit - Their "slim" fits were not a very good cut, and pretty boxy. The tailored fit dress pants were still pretty large proportionally.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by infiniti029
I'm 5'7", medium build. Just to add to the list...

- Charles Tyrwhitt slim fits - A better fit than most, shoulders a bit wide for me, had the sleeves altered to 32".
- Jcrew Slim Fits - From what I heard, it can be a good fit for shorter/slimmer guys, will need to go to the store to try them out
- Lands End slim/tailored fit - Their "slim" fits were not a very good cut, and pretty boxy. The tailored fit dress pants were still pretty large proportionally.

+1 for CT and JCrew, especially on clearance.

machochino

Reaction score
Being short and skinny is not much of a problem. You can find a lot of slim fitting brands (premium stuff) and make yourself appear taller. However, being short and "athletic" is a big issue. You end up looking more short and stalky.

In my case, I have a very athletic build at about 5'6 and 160lbs. I'm asian so it's expectable. Lol. But I have a hard time finding jeans that fit well. When I wear slim jeans, it makes my large upper (40 chest) and slim lower body very awkward. So I have to resort to relaxed fit/ straight legs. Also, a lot of premium denim are made with absurdly long inseams. And, hemming the jeans tend to alter the cut. I'm about a 29 length btw. So, you can imagine the pain I go through to find nice denim.

I'm also a little confused about shorter guys wearing longer length shirts,coats etc. Should I wear shorter ones so it elongates my short legs? or would longer coats/jackets make our appearance larger, thus taller?

I just thought I add my .02 to this thread since it relates very well to myself.

alflauren

Reaction score
I can vouch for Jimmy Au's in LA. They have very interesting cuts and sizes for shorter guys that you won't find elsewhere. I recently got a nice Polo suit there in 36S, half-canvas, for about $700. Yes, that's high for a base level Polo suit, but when a guy with an irregular size can take something off of the rack and have it fit without any work...it's priceless.

Plus, Jimmy is a little bit of a character and a fun guy to help pick out a suit or two.

Also - as a nice bonus, Jimmy has Aldens.

Finally, I am in love with Lucky Jeans, since I can get stylish jeans with short inseams and no hemming issues.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

phooi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by machochino
Being short and skinny is not much of a problem. You can find a lot of slim fitting brands (premium stuff) and make yourself appear taller. However, being short and "athletic" is a big issue. You end up looking more short and stalky.

In my case, I have a very athletic build at about 5'6 and 160lbs. I'm asian so it's expectable. Lol. But I have a hard time finding jeans that fit well. When I wear slim jeans, it makes my large upper (40 chest) and slim lower body very awkward. So I have to resort to relaxed fit/ straight legs. Also, a lot of premium denim are made with absurdly long inseams. And, hemming the jeans tend to alter the cut. I'm about a 29 length btw. So, you can imagine the pain I go through to find nice denim.

I'm also a little confused about shorter guys wearing longer length shirts,coats etc. Should I wear shorter ones so it elongates my short legs? or would longer coats/jackets make our appearance larger, thus taller?

I just thought I add my .02 to this thread since it relates very well to myself.

I guess I beat you all at under 5'4" and I'm stocky... Anyway, I have nothing but problems finding clothes that fit, except for shoes. However, after spending time here on the forums, I have learned a few things. For jeans, never buy pre-distressed -- the distressing is always in the wrong place. I buy a high quality selvage jean and create my own distressing by wearing it over time. Also, you can alter the jeans without shifting the honeycombs.

As for other items, I buy custom fit polos and have had good success buying clothes from the boys dept. I get my polo shirts and OCBD from there. The bonus is that the sleeves are perfect, relatively slim fit and the collar height is correct!

Hope this helps and good idea for starting this thread.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cross-Post, maybe useful...

I just want to add an update here for anyone in Toronto...
I spent a few hours today in "Brown's" ( http://www.shortmanbrowns.com/) and here's the lowdown. (Note - I am in no way affiliated with the store, and am just one opinion so take it with a pinch of salt)

Basically the problem for guys 5'6 or so and under is that generally suits and other clothes are just scaled down in size but what's not considered is the change in proportions. Browns has selected a bunch of formal and casual clothing that general looks better on shorter guys and also does full tailoring. They have shirts, suits, ties, and casual slacks, jeans, etc.

As for suits, they have a house brand at about $500-600 (I hear there are bi-yearly sales of around 20% off), and it's decent. They also carry Boss, Versace, Cole Hann and others. Basically they've ordered MTM special editions from these houses so that they're all proportioned properly and OTR from them is like a MTM for most shorter people.

For better quality, they do have Pal Zireli for about $2000 and frankly it felt like a dream as soon as I put it on. soft curved shoulders, sleek body without a huge drop buy still slim, soft rolled lapel, etc. Just a whole world apart, and I saw all that before even looking at the tag. If I had the money I'd buy one tomorow.

Basically they're mostly the same suits you'd expect to get for that price somewhere else. Mostly fused, decent fabric and construction, etc but nothing over the top. Just the big difference is that it'll fit much better OTR and will probably need very little adjusting. All tailoring is free with the suit.

So my conclusions are, if you have trouble finding stuff OTR that works for you and are short (slim or portly) or even very short, you can find the same average suit that the normal sized guys enjoy. That's not meant to be a downer, just to say that at the normal price you can get the same sort of basic suit someone bigger would find in another store, except it'll fit you much better and that may be worth it for you.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics