• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
you'll just have to wait til my sample is finalized
smile.gif

but I ran it across a few for a sanity check and the consensus is that it sounds pretty cool
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

it's really not that big of a deal, but it's kind of unique I think, and I havent seen anything similar from anyone else. But it's not like I'm reinventing the wheel or anything. Just making more **** that I would want to wear.
blush.gif

rilian

Reaction score
Hey, Get Smart, I just tried on a few shirts at Ben Sherman and had to return them because the collars are a bit too high and tight, and also the cuffs are quite loose, and I have fairly thick wrists too.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ ummm ok
eh.gif

if you're making a reference to how I'm doing my shirts...you probably got the coventry collar which is tall (it's the "authentic" collar btw)....and the mod fit which ime fits ok thru the body but the neck is too small in proportion (and shoulders are a bit narrow). and I agree their cuffs are too loose (unless you get the barrel cuff with 2 buttons for adjustability)

I'm aware of all that, and my shirt won't be based on the mod fit shirt which is kind of whack imo. nor will i do tall collars since the shirt is supposed to be in sync with my suits which have relatively small collar height.

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
Love your stuff and ideas as always. Just hope you do an XS in the shirt, like your jumpers, as then I can spend more of my $ with you!

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^ ummm ok
eh.gif

if you're making a reference to how I'm doing my shirts...you probably got the coventry collar which is tall (it's the "authentic" collar btw)....and the mod fit which ime fits ok thru the body but the neck is too small in proportion (and shoulders are a bit narrow). and I agree their cuffs are too loose (unless you get the barrel cuff with 2 buttons for adjustability)

I'm aware of all that, and my shirt won't be based on the mod fit shirt which is kind of whack imo. nor will i do tall collars since the shirt is supposed to be in sync with my suits which have relatively small collar height.

Cool, glad you're making modifications. Looking forward to seeing your shirts, and I'm glad you're expanding the line. Hope to see you in SF if you make it up here also.

markr

Reaction score
I third (or fourth or whatever we're up to) the notion of a SF trip, though I'm not sure I can wait that long to place my next order!

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Got the shipment notice for my TaT suit (2-button conservative cut) on Monday, will post pics when it comes in the mail.
smile.gif

sonvolt10

Reaction score
I will be purchasing a TaT suit shortly, as soon as I get some (hopefully) accurate measurements. I have a few questions for Jason and for those that have already purchased and received their suits.

1) How often do you clean your suit? Are there any issues with shrinkage (not the Seinfeld-esque shrinkage)?
2) How is the quality of the suit(s) in terms of durability (Does the suit still look sharp over time)?
3) (for Jason) Assuming I'm happy with my initial suit, I plan on ordering 4-5 more suits. How do I arrive at proper measurements (given that it's likely adjustments will need to be made to the first suit) such that the subsequent suits will fit perfectly from the factory?

Thanks

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonvolt10
1) How often do you clean your suit? Are there any issues with shrinkage (not the Seinfeld-esque shrinkage)?
2) How is the quality of the suit(s) in terms of durability (Does the suit still look sharp over time)?
3) (for Jason) Assuming I'm happy with my initial suit, I plan on ordering 4-5 more suits. How do I arrive at proper measurements (given that it's likely adjustments will need to be made to the first suit) such that the subsequent suits will fit perfectly from the factory?

1. I wouldnt clean it unless it is visibly dirty. the 1x year rule is an ok guideline but not accurate for everyone. some will need to clean it more often others less than 1x year. A good steaming will freshen it up if it's not actually dirty

2. My first suit has gone thru hours of hard jitterbugging and still is a-ok. but depending on your lifestyle and enviro I guess ymmv

3. Ideally you would give me tweeks in reference to the 1st suit (like take in the body .5" across, shorten inseam 1" or whatever)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

I am going to start making shirts size S-L (maybe an XS too). They wont be mtm but I get a good amount of requests about a proper shirt (most requests are for white) to wear with suit. So ima start with a solid white shirt that can be worn with the suit, it'll be small collar'd and minimalistic. I'm fashioning the fit after the Ben Sherman "soho fit" shirt which imo is one of the best OTR fits with a perfect proportion from neck size to shoulder to chest to body. Price will be under $100 of course. This will probably be sometime late fall, early winter

That sounds great. The BS Soho Fit is one of the best button down shirts i've purchase based on sizing and fit. I also agree that BS makes very well fitted shirts. I can't wait for this and I don't even have to worry about the sizing if it is based on the soho fit.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Got the shipment notice for my TaT suit (2-button conservative cut) on Monday, will post pics when it comes in the mail.
smile.gif

Mine shipped on Monday too (placed order 8/18). I should get it in a couple of days.

chronic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy Burgess
Love your stuff and ideas as always. Just hope you do an XS in the shirt, like your jumpers, as then I can spend more of my $ with you!

+1 on the XS. For those of us who aren't familiar with the BS Soho Fit, can you post measurements when you make the shirts? Thanks!

Modernist

Reaction score
+1 on looking forward to the new shirts. I'm always on the look out for an alternative to the vintage BS clone shirt.

What I find exceptionally hard to find is a fitted shirt with full back box pleat, french cuffs and a pointed collar (~3inches long). Perhaps one can hope?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads