• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's power suit for DNC speech

Metropolis

Reaction score
Shame. It's not even that nice. Too much blue.
frown.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tcameron
I thought Bush the second was a Press buy, maybe I am mistaken, or perhaps he dabbles in both? ( A different type of "dabbling in both" than his predecessor however.)

I have never heard that and have never seen him in anything that looks like Press. He has a very geniune disdain for anything redolent of Eastern preppy snobbery. One summer day one of the speechwriters came to work in a seersucker suit and white shoes and I thought the poor bastard was going to get fired.

WestOfPCH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have never heard that and have never seen him in anything that looks like Press. He has a very geniune disdain for anything redolent of Eastern preppy snobbery. One summer day one of the speechwriters came to work in a seersucker suit and white shoes and I thought the poor bastard was going to get fired.

AT least in '01, W was wearing Oxxford:

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributor.../06_Suits.html

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would they interview the director of pub relations for HF about a HSM suit? This seems odd to me, political from the get go in that HSM is the cheaper suit and slightly less elitist as a result? But then they go quoting a HF price on a suit that is supposedly HSM? I am confused.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Why would they interview the director of pub relations for HF about a HSM suit? This seems odd to me, political from the get go in that HSM is the cheaper suit and slightly less elitist as a result? But then they go quoting a HF price on a suit that is supposedly HSM? I am confused.

Both Hickey Freeman and Hart Schaffner Marx are owned by Hartmarx Corp. My guess is the director of public relations for Hickey Freeman handles Hart Schaffner Marx as well.

Skyler

Reaction score
One summer day one of the speechwriters came to work in a seersucker suit and white shoes and I thought the poor bastard was going to get fired.

With good reason: there is just something about seersucker that turns a man into a boy.

According to a New Yorker article several years ago, de Paris has made suits for all the presidents since LBJ. Funny article in some ways. Reportedly, he didn't care for Carter (too cold), Ford (too oblivious) or Clinton (too imperious) but was/is very fond of Bush I and II... and thought Reagan hung the moon.

Great article, think it appeared in 2004.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
Both Hickey Freeman and Hart Schaffner Marx are owned by Hartmarx Corp. My guess is the director of public relations for Hickey Freeman handles Hart Schaffner Marx as well.

I know. But the title should say as much if she is speaking on behalf of HSM product as well.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reagan got his suits from a now-dead Italian tailor in Beverley Hills. Frank Marignano or something like that.

Bush 41 got his at Press.

Bush 43 got Oxxford through an Austin, Texas retailer, and also used a DC tailor named Georges de Paris.

Both have had a handful made at Rajawongse in Bangkok. Kerry, too. And Hillary Rodam.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I know. But the title should say as much if she is speaking on behalf of HSM product as well.

Agreed. It appears as though she is the director of public relations for all of Hartmarx, not just those brands. Either way it could have been presented better.

sfo423

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
looks nice. I guess a $4000 Oxxford MTM would raise a few eyebrows

I'm sure Tony Rezco would buy him several. Of course, on his wifes CC.
fight[1].gif

bcate3

Reaction score
Obama really should have gone with Oxxford, but, yeah, disclosure of the cost would have been embarrassing. There was a discussion about Reagan's suits earlier this year, and here's what I found.

Originally Posted by bcate3
I always liked Reagan's suits. Here's an excerpt from a '82 Time article I found:

"Reagan's glen plaid has good lineage. The fabric was manufactured by the British firm of Illingworth, Morris & Co. Ltd., which also furnishes the interiors of Rolls-Royce autos, the Pope's vestments and the covers for the tennis balls used at Wimbledon. White House Aide Morgan Mason (son of Actor James Mason) used to be executive director of Illingworth, Morris, and when Friend Nancy Reagan wanted some new suiting for her husband, Mason hustled over some swatches from which the glen plaid was chosen.

"The bolt of cloth was sent along to Beverly Hills Tailor Frank Mariani, who makes all of Reagan's suits. He went to work with the quiet confidence that comes from knowing his customer's taste: two-button coat, medium-width lapels, pleated trousers and six buttons on the fly. For $1,200 the suit was a beauty, and Mariani suspected back then that it might be destined for fame. "The President likes his clothes," explains Mariani. "He builds a fondness for them."

dpw

Reaction score
i think speaking naked might be apropos for obama.... "For the emperor has no cloths"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
six buttons on the fly? Do any of you have button fly suit pants?

I have had them in the past, and they are a PitA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads