1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's power suit for DNC speech

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WestOfPCH, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Skyler

Skyler Senior member

One summer day one of the speechwriters came to work in a seersucker suit and white shoes and I thought the poor bastard was going to get fired.

With good reason: there is just something about seersucker that turns a man into a boy.

According to a New Yorker article several years ago, de Paris has made suits for all the presidents since LBJ. Funny article in some ways. Reportedly, he didn't care for Carter (too cold), Ford (too oblivious) or Clinton (too imperious) but was/is very fond of Bush I and II... and thought Reagan hung the moon.

Great article, think it appeared in 2004.

2. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Both Hickey Freeman and Hart Schaffner Marx are owned by Hartmarx Corp. My guess is the director of public relations for Hickey Freeman handles Hart Schaffner Marx as well.

I know. But the title should say as much if she is speaking on behalf of HSM product as well.

3. scruff

scruff Senior member

Reagan got his suits from a now-dead Italian tailor in Beverley Hills. Frank Marignano or something like that.

Bush 41 got his at Press.

Bush 43 got Oxxford through an Austin, Texas retailer, and also used a DC tailor named Georges de Paris.

Both have had a handful made at Rajawongse in Bangkok. Kerry, too. And Hillary Rodam.

4. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

I know. But the title should say as much if she is speaking on behalf of HSM product as well.

Agreed. It appears as though she is the director of public relations for all of Hartmarx, not just those brands. Either way it could have been presented better.

5. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

looks nice. I guess a $4000 Oxxford MTM would raise a few eyebrows

I'm sure Tony Rezco would buy him several. Of course, on his wifes CC.[​IMG]

6. bcate3

bcate3 Senior member

Obama really should have gone with Oxxford, but, yeah, disclosure of the cost would have been embarrassing. There was a discussion about Reagan's suits earlier this year, and here's what I found.

I always liked Reagan's suits. Here's an excerpt from a '82 Time article I found:

"Reagan's glen plaid has good lineage. The fabric was manufactured by the British firm of Illingworth, Morris & Co. Ltd., which also furnishes the interiors of Rolls-Royce autos, the Pope's vestments and the covers for the tennis balls used at Wimbledon. White House Aide Morgan Mason (son of Actor James Mason) used to be executive director of Illingworth, Morris, and when Friend Nancy Reagan wanted some new suiting for her husband, Mason hustled over some swatches from which the glen plaid was chosen.

"The bolt of cloth was sent along to Beverly Hills Tailor Frank Mariani, who makes all of Reagan's suits. He went to work with the quiet confidence that comes from knowing his customer's taste: two-button coat, medium-width lapels, pleated trousers and six buttons on the fly. For $1,200 the suit was a beauty, and Mariani suspected back then that it might be destined for fame. "The President likes his clothes," explains Mariani. "He builds a fondness for them."

7. dpw

dpw Senior member

i think speaking naked might be apropos for obama.... "For the emperor has no cloths"

8. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

six buttons on the fly? Do any of you have button fly suit pants?

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have had them in the past, and they are a PitA.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, all of them. I have never counted the buttons.

11. Tcameron

Tcameron Senior member

I have never heard that and have never seen him in anything that looks like Press. He has a very geniune disdain for anything redolent of Eastern preppy snobbery. One summer day one of the speechwriters came to work in a seersucker suit and white shoes and I thought the poor bastard was going to get fired.

Good to know, I guess I don't have to feel bad about liking J. Press stuff now. Being from the Northeast I have embraced the eastern preppy snobbery quite well actually, and love every minute of it. Then again, I'm not running for public office anytime soon so I don't have to appeal to everyone.

12. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Some one please remind me: who have been the tailors for Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and W?

I remember much being written regarding Reagan's tailor -- I'm guessing he paid more for his suits than the "retail Nordstrom" price for Obama's.

Martin Greenfield!! [​IMG]

13. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

I have three bespoke suits from an Italian gentleman, all of which have button fly pants.

BTW you probably could buy a $1500 HSM suit if you tried hard enough. Some RTW HSM touches $800.

14. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

I did notice his suit last night looked much better than his usual ones. More fitted. Strong shoulders. Looked great.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Most of my suits have a button fly.

16. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

I did notice his suit last night looked much better than his usual ones. More fitted. Strong shoulders. Looked great.

The suit did look good. Strong shoulder lines and I also liked the collar on his shirt.

Only irk was that his tie seemed to be a bit off center and coming close to going under his left collar.

17. thinman

thinman Senior member

I thought the same. The collar also stayed on his neck perfectly when he moved. I thought it fit exceptionally well, at least what I could see when he was behind the lectern.

18. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

Some one please remind me: who have been the tailors for Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and W?

I remember much being written regarding Reagan's tailor -- I'm guessing he paid more for his suits than the "retail Nordstrom" price for Obama's.

there was an article 2 years ago in forbes or fortune that HSM is the suitmaker to presidents since it is made in america.

19. GBR

GBR Senior member

Scruffy man could not even muster a decent shirt with double cuffs and links - buttons indeed.

20. dpw

dpw Senior member

I thought the same. The collar also stayed on his neck perfectly when he moved. I thought it fit exceptionally well, at least what I could see when he was behind the lectern.

+1 i paid particular notice to his approach to the podium and i must say the fit and flow was grand!!