• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Use Tie Bars?

Lawman

Reaction score
I've happened upon some really cool looking vintage tie bars with chains. First problem: how does one wear such a thing? Second problem: I can't see myself wearing one.

Does anyone here ever wear a tie bar?

bart.jpg

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
i use tie bars quite a bit

i have a few gold ones but i mostly use a silver tie bar that is fairly small about 1.8in

it does well

pajames

Reaction score
You wear these by pushing the larger part onto the shirt and bringing the tie through the chain. But I would not wear this one because it is a Shriner symbol and some guys will fight you if you are not entitled to wear the symbols.

Mr T

Reaction score
I use tie bars regularly. They are an inexpensive way to add some old world charm. My favorite is a commemorative Chicago World's Fair bar I found recently in an antique store.

I do not prefer tie bars with chains however or tie clips which can damage silk.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I use tie bars on occasion, but not with chains.

+1

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use them most days - stops my tie dipping into my cereal..

Accessory - SS tie-clip with "intrecciato" treatment (Bottega Veneta)
L1010517.jpg

Accessory - SS tie-clip with "Jolly Roger" (Calibre - Australian label)
tie-clipwskullbones.jpg

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
This is my most tasteless tie bar:
24nps1x.jpg
If one ignores the engraved and ostentatious Dolce & Gabbana, it's actually a VERY nice tie bar. The sterling silver is extremely thick and nice to handle, and when it's been rubbed clean with a cloth, it looks fantastic.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
I've happened upon some really cool looking vintage tie bars with chains. First problem: how does one wear such a thing? Second problem: I can't see myself wearing one.

Does anyone here ever wear a tie bar?

bart.jpg

If you can't see yourself wearing this, why did you buy it?

Lawman

Reaction score
I didn't buy it. I found a site where they are offering these items. Damn, its getting harder to say anything on here without someone being a wise ass.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Relax. My opinion is the chain is that it is a bit much and I couldn't see myself wearing it either. Good advice on the Schriner symbol too, you don't want to be chased down the street by a bunch of little motorcycles (sorry, Wiseass again). I would go with a simple bar to start, see how you feel about it and gear up from there to chains or heavier decoration. We good?

Nov

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I use them most days - stops my tie dipping into my cereal..
Accessory - SS tie-clip with "Jolly Roger" (Calibre - Australian label)
tie-clipwskullbones.jpg

I love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics